Showing posts with label France. Show all posts
Showing posts with label France. Show all posts

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Air France voice recorder found

3 May 2011 Last updated at 08:21 GMT The Air France cockpit voice recorder seen in this image published on the website of France's BEA bureau of investigation The discovery of the Air France cockpit voice recorder marks the end of a long search The cockpit voice recorder from an Air France plane that crashed into the Atlantic two years ago has been found, French investigators have said.

The discovery comes two days after the airliner's flight data recorder was also retrieved from the ocean.

Both recorders are said to be in good physical condition.

The Airbus A330 was flying from Rio de Janeiro in Brazil to Paris when it went down on 1 June 2009, killing all 228 people on board.

"We can now hope to find out what truly happened within the next three weeks," French Transport Minister Thierry Mariani told French radio.

France's Bureau of Investigation and Analysis (BEA) said the so-called black box would be shipped back to France, probably by the end of next week.

"The outside appears to be in relatively good shape," a spokeswoman said, adding it would be possible to see if the recorder was usable only once it was opened in France.

Long search

Last week, the French search team found the outer casing and then the memory unit of of the flight data recorder. The crucial unit was located on Sunday and delivered to a search vessel.

The wreckage was discovered last month after a long search of 10,000 sq km (3,860 sq miles) of sea floor.

Air France flight 447 went down after running into an intense high-altitude thunderstorm, four hours following take-off from Rio de Janeiro.

Those on board came from more than 30 countries, though most were French, Brazilian or German.

Experts say the data in the two flight recorders is the only hope of finding out why the plane crashed into the sea.

The cockpit voice recorder - one of the so-called "black boxes" - contains vital information about the pilots' reactions.

The flight data recorder collects in-flight data from the plane's instruments, such as altitude, speed and rudder position.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Air France flight recorder found

1 May 2011 Last updated at 20:57 GMT Inage of data recorder provided by France's Bureau of Investigation and Analysis The recorder was found partially embedded in sand on the sea bed One of two flight recorders from an Air France plane that crashed in 2009 off the coast of Brazil has been recovered, officials say.

France's Bureau of Investigation said in a statement that the device was "in good physical condition".

French search teams last week found the outer casing of the so-called black box recorder, but not its memory.

The Air France Airbus plane went down in the Atlantic on 1 June 2009, killing all 228 people on board.

Cockpit conversations

The wreckage was discovered last month after a long search of 10,000 sq km (3,860 sq miles) of sea floor.

The remains of the plane were found only on a fourth attempt, using robots capable of operating 4,000m (13,120ft) below the ocean's surface.

The Paris-bound Air France jet went down after running into an intense high-altitude thunderstorm, four hours following take-off from Rio de Janeiro.

Those on board came from more than 30 countries, though most were French, Brazilian or German.

Experts say the data in the flight recorders - which records cockpit conversations - is the only hope of finding out why the plane crashed into the sea.

But one expert told the Associated Press that the data recorder's information may yet prove unusable, as it was subjected to underwater pressure for nearly two years.

"We can't say in advance that we're going to be able to read it until it's been opened," a spokeswoman told the news agency.

The data recorders are expected to be sent back to Paris for testing.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Germany and France power eurozone

2 May 2011 Last updated at 09:16 GMT machine worker on factory floor The strength of Germany and France is masking economic weakness elsewhere in the eurozone The economies of Germany and France powered ahead in April, with their manufacturing sectors continuing their strong recovery, according to new data.

The closely-watched Markit purchasing managers index showed that Germany's factory activity expanded for a 19th consecutive month in April.

In France, industrial activity expanded at its fastest rate in five months.

But growth slowed in Spain and Italy, raising fears about a two-speed recovery in the eurozone bloc.

Markit's latest index, which covers manufacturing across the eurozone, rose to 58 points last month, from 57.5 in March.

Any reading above 50 indicates expansion.

But the bounce was once again driven by Germany and France, whose growth overshadowed continued weakness in other parts of the eurozone.

For Germany, Markit's manufacturing index rose to 62 points from 60.9 in March.

For France, the reading came in at 57.5 for April, against 55.4 in the month before.

But other main eurozone economies did not do as well, with Italy falling to 55.5 from 56.2, Spain down to 50.6 from 51.6, and Greece at 46.8 points, up from 45.4.

Chris Williamson, economist at Markit, said eurozone-wide manufacturing growth for the first four months of 2011 was the best since the dotcom boom of 2000.

But he added: "The two disappointments were the near-record increase in manufacturers' selling prices, which will fuel inflationary concerns among policymakers, and the growing divergence between the performances of the core and periphery."


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

France ex-minister wins arms case

29 April 2011 Last updated at 14:24 Charles Pasqua (file pic) Charles Pasqua says he was targeted by political rivals A French appeals court has overturned the conviction of former Interior Minister Charles Pasqua over arms trafficking to Angola in the 1990s.

Mr Pasqua, 84, had been jailed for one year over the "Angola-gate" affair, with two more years suspended.

The Paris court also cut the jail terms handed down in 2009 to Israeli-Russian businessman Arkady Gaydamak and French magnate Pierre Falcone in the case.

The case centred on illegal arms sales to Angola during the civil war there.

It was alleged that Soviet bloc arms worth $790m (£474m) were shipped to Angola in murky deals involving politicians and businessmen. In all, 42 people were put on trial.

Falcone's jail term has been cut to 30 months, from the original six years.

Mr Pasqua, a veteran right-wing politician, said Friday's ruling "shatters the entire accusation drawn up and pursued against me". Describing himself as "an old soldier" he said "it would take more than that to destroy me politically".

Mr Pasqua has accused former President Jacques Chirac and some other top politicians of using the scandal to harm his career.

An arrest warrant is still in force against Gaydamak, who is on the run, but his jail sentence of six years was halved.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Divisive art vandalised in France

18 April 2011 Last updated at 22:03 GMT The partially damaged artwork Piss Christ in Avignon, southern France, 18 April 2011 There had been protests against the work the day before the attack A controversial photograph of a crucifix bathed in urine has been vandalised at an art museum in southern France, officials said.

The work, Piss Christ, by American artist Andres Serrano, was attacked on Sunday by three vandals who also threatened staff at the museum in Avignon.

A demonstration against the photograph drew some 800 protesters on Saturday.

The work also proved contentious in the US when it was first displayed in 1989.

Protests

Police said two people had attempted to enter the Collection Lambert art museum on Sunday morning with paint spray and a chisel in their jackets.

As a guard was removing the items, a third person took a hammer to the work, according the Associated Press.

The museum said in a statement the vandals physically threatened three guards before fleeing.

A second work, The Church, the torso of a nun with her hands in her lap, was also damaged.

On Saturday, a right-wing group held a protest to denounce the photograph as blasphemous and to call for its removal.

One museum worker told Reuters news agency they had received death threats by phone.

"We're nervous and we have asked for protection from the police," the employee said.

The museum said the exhibition, entitled I Believe In Miracles, would be open as usual on Tuesday with the damaged works on show.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

VIDEO: France veil ban meets with defiance

11 April 2011 Last updated at 22:20 GMT Help

View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Moody likely to miss France match

RBS Six Nations: England v France
Venue: Twickenham Date: Saturday, 26 February Kick-off: 1700 GMT
Coverage: Watch on BBC One, BBC HD channel, Red Button and BBC Sport website (also on BBC America); post-match forum 1900-1930; listen on BBC Radio 5 live & online; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles

Lewis Moody Moody returned to action for Bath last weekendLewis Moody is expected to be left out on Thursday when England announce their side to face France in Saturday's key Six Nations clash at Twickenham.

The flanker, 32, was expected to captain the side after returning from a five-week knee injury, playing 23 minutes for Bath last weekend.

But reports suggest he suffered a recurrence of the injury in training.

The Rugby Football Union refused to confirm those reports, with the team due to be announced at 1300 GMT.

Centre Mike Tindall has captained England in Moody's absence, steering the team to wins over Wales and Italy.

England boss Martin Johnson said earlier this week that Moody's return would be a bonus but added the flanker would only feature against France if he was ready.

"We would love him to be fit and fully raring to go for a Test match," Johnson stated.

"There's probably a little bit of a difference between playing 20 minutes in the Premiership and playing against France.

"He will know if he is right or if he is not right - and he'll be honest with us and the team.

"It would be great if he is fit to go but if not the other guys have been playing very well."

England and France are both unbeaten after two rounds of Six Nations action.

England began with a 26-19 win in Wales before crushing Italy 59-13 at Twickenham, while defending champions France defeated Scotland 34-21 in Paris before edging past Ireland 25-22 in Dublin.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

O'Leary doubtful for France game

2011 SIX NATIONS: IRELAND v FRANCE
Venue: Aviva Stadium, Dublin Date: Sunday, 13 February Kick-off: 1500 GMT
Coverage: Live on BBC Two, Red Button and online from 1430-1700; Commentary on Radio 5 live and live text commentary on BBC Sport website

Tomas O'Leary Tomas O'Leary has been bothered by a stiff back this weekPeter Stringer has been added to the Ireland squad for Sunday's Six Nations game against France because of doubts over Tomas O'Leary's fitness.

Scrum-half O'Leary's training has been restricted in recent days because of a stiff back.

"Tomas is not ruled out...but we will wait and see how he progresses," said Irish team manager Paul McNaughton.

If O'Leary does not prove his fitness, Eoin Reddan is likely to start at scrum-half with Stringer on the bench.

Stringer was scheduled to take part in Munster's Magners League game this weekend but will now remain with the Ireland squad until Sunday.

O'Leary was thought to be under some pressure to hold on to his starting role against the French after struggling against Italy last weekend.

However, coach Declan Kidney opted for only one change from the Rome contest with fit-again Jamie Heaslip replacing Denis Leamy in the back row.

Leamy dropped to the replacements' bench, with Sean O'Brien moving to blind-side flanker and David Wallace completing the back row.

Shane Jennings dropped out of coach Declan Kidney's match-day 22.

Ulster wing Andrew Trimble was not included in the line-up despite having recovered from a hand injury.

As expected, flanker Stephen Ferris was ruled out of the game through injury.

Ireland coach Declan Kidney expects a tough challenge from France on Sunday

Ferris is still troubled by a knee injury so joins Tommy Bowe, Shane Horgan, John Hayes, Geordan Murphy and Marcus Horan in missing the game.

Ronan O'Gara had staked his claim for a starting berth by kicking the decisive drop-goal against Italy after coming on as a replacement for Jonathan Sexton, but the Leinster man continues at fly-half.

Gordon D'Arcy remains as Brian O'Driscoll's centre partner despite a poor outing in Rome, while Cian Healy and Mike Ross stay as the props, with Tom Court having to settle for a place on the bench.

Ireland: L Fitzgerald (Leinster), F McFadden (Leinster), B O'Driscoll (Leinster, captain), G D'Arcy (Leinster), K Earls (Munster), J Sexton (Leinster), T O'Leary (Munster); C Healy (Leinster), R Best (Ulster), M Ross (Leinster), D O'Callaghan (Munster), P O'Connell (Munster), S O'Brien (Leinster), D Wallace (Munster), J Heaslip (Leinster).

Replacements: S Cronin (Connacht), T Court (Ulster), L Cullen (Leinster), D Leamy (Munster), E Reddan (Leinster), R O'Gara (Munster), P Wallace (Ulster).


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.