Showing posts with label woman. Show all posts
Showing posts with label woman. Show all posts

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Woman admits £25,000 benefits con

22 August 2011 Last updated at 16:53 GMT Annunziatina Attanasio had been claiming the highest rate for both mobility and care for five years.

A Cardiff woman has admitted claiming £25,000 worth of benefits after pretending to be severely disabled.

Annunziatina Attanasio, 51, claimed the highest rate of mobility and care for five years before she was caught.

She was filmed walking normally, as well as going down a water slide.

She claimed an amount which, says the Department for Work and Pensions, is meant for "people who are barely able to walk and need round-the-clock care". She will be sentenced on 16 September.


View the original article here

Monday, August 22, 2011

Woman likely to be Russia's No 3

22 August 2011 Last updated at 10:34 GMT Valentina Matviyenko with Vladimir Putin Valentina Matviyenko is a close ally of Vladimir Putin A close ally of Russian PM Vladimir Putin has won a reported landslide in a vote that puts her on course to assume one of Russia's most powerful roles.

Valentina Matviyenko has won a seat in Russia's upper house of parliament, the Federation Council.

It is thought Mr Putin and President Dmitry Medvedev want her to be speaker - the third-ranking job in Russia.

But opponents denounced her victory - with more than 95% of the vote - as fraudulent.

Opposition observers claimed to have witnessed ballot-stuffing during the vote in two municipalities of St Petersburg.

"This is a 100% fraud, not a vote," said opposition leader Boris Nemtsov on his blog.

Ms Matviyenko has been governor of St Petersburg, Russia's second city, since 2003.

The city is where both Mr Putin and Mr Medvedev come from.

Ms Matviyenko must be elected by the Federation Council if she is to fill the vacant speaker's position - but the house is loyal to the Kremlin.

If successful, it is thought Ms Matviyenko would be Russia's highest appointed stateswoman since Catherine the Great, who was empress of Russia in the 18th Century.


View the original article here

Woman is jailed for bottle murder

22 August 2011 Last updated at 15:27 GMT William Reilly William Reilly was beaten on the head with bottles of alcohol A woman has been jailed for life for murdering a 91-year-old blind man by battering him with a bottle of wine.

Melanie Cole, 49, attacked William Reilly at his home in Tower Gardens, Tottenham, north London, on 29 December. He died a week later.

The Old Bailey heard Cole, who must serve at least 30 years in prison, "murdered him for money".

Cole, of Culford Road, Islington, was cleared of murdering another man in 2005.

Jurors heard Mr Reilly was found covered in blood sitting on his bed, by his son James.

Money stolen

He had suffered head injuries after being beaten with a bottle of Chateauneuf-du-Pape and a bottle of liqueur.

The retired builder, who was registered blind and almost completely deaf, died a week later in hospital after developing pneumonia.

Zoe Johnson, prosecuting, said Cole killed Mr Reilly for the money he had in his coat pocket.

The court heard Cole would turn up at the house unannounced and had previously stolen money from Mr Reilly after they met in a local pub.

Cole denied the charge and claimed Mr Reilly was well when she left him.

Judge David Paget told her: "It may be that you will never be released and may die in prison.

"You battered to death a 91-year-old man in his home in order to get money from him for drink or drugs. It may have been only £20.

"What is truly shocking is the brutality of what you did."

Melanie Cole Melanie Cole was ordered to serve a minimum of 30 years in jail

Cole was acquitted of murder in 2005 after two juries failed to reach verdicts in the case of Robin Williams, 47.

Mr Williams was found in a bath at his home in Tottenham having been hit over the head with a bottle and stabbed.

The jury was not told of the previous case because it would have been prejudicial, the court heard.

Mr Reilly, who was born in Balla, County Mayo, the Republic of Ireland, was part of a large family.

In a statement, his son Sean said Mr Reilly, who was much-loved by his friends and family, had been killed in a "brutal and mindless act".

Mr Reilly said: "He stood for decency and integrity - qualities which Melanie Cole knew nothing about."


View the original article here

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

NI woman caught in NZ earthquake

22 February 2011 Last updated at 08:49 GMT Cathy Harris Dungiven woman Cathy Harris who has been caught up in the earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand A Dungiven woman caught up in the earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand, has said it was the "most terrifying experience" of her life.

A state of emergency was declared after the earthquake struck at lunchtime.

At least 65 people are known to have died and more are trapped under rubble.

Cathy Harris, a former BBC Radio Foyle employee, emigrated to the suburb of Ashburton, just south of Christchurch with her young son Thomas and husband Richard in 2009.

She said the situation in Christchurch is "pretty horrendous."

"I was at home making some lunch when the earthquake hit and I just got under a table," she said.

"I know it was a much smaller earthquake than hit in September but it was a much more violent. I just knew straightaway that there was going to be catastrophic damage.

Continue reading the main story
There are still colleagues of mine I haven't been able to get it touch with, I'm hoping they are okay but it's terrible not knowing”

End Quote Cathy Harris Dungiven woman caught up in the eathquake in New Zealand "The worst thing was my son was at school so as soon as the quake finished we went straight there. Thankfully it was lunchtime and the children were all out in the playground which is where they would have been had they been evacuated to if they had been indoors.

"There were a lot of very distressed children but our boy Thomas was remarkably calm about the whole thing.

"There are still colleagues of mine I haven't been able to get it touch with, I'm hoping they are okay but it's terrible not knowing.

"When the quake hit I was just looking at the carpet watching the ground moving. It's just the most awful thing, you feel so powerless.

"It's the most terrifying experience. It's a whole new level of absolute fear.

"We are just dreading the next one. We are just trying to keep things normal for Thomas' sake and trying not transfer our fear to him, which isn't easy to do."

Rescuers search debris in Christchurch, 22 Feb 2011 Rescuers are searching the debris for trapped people

The Foreign Office is offering consular assistance for anyone with concerns regarding family or friends who may be in the Christchurch area. They can be contacted on 0207 008 1500.

The Government in the Republic of Ireland has also issued a number. The Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin can be contacted on 00 353 1 478 0822.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Monday, February 14, 2011

French kidnap woman appeal fails

11 February 2011 Last updated at 00:36 GMT Florence Cassez behind bars, file picture Many people in France believe Florence Cassez is innocent A Mexican appeals court has upheld the conviction of a French woman, Florence Cassez, whose imprisonment for kidnapping has caused friction between the two countries.

The court said prosecutors had proved Ms Cassez guilt in three kidnappings in 2005 and her 60-year sentence would stand.

She has always pleaded her innocence.

France has warned that the decision to keep her behind bars will weigh on bilateral relations.

"I am appalled by the court's decision to back the judge's ruling on Florence Cassez," French Foreign Minister Michele Alliot-Marie said in a statement.

"It is a denial of justice."

She added that France would do everything it could to seek her release.

The case of Florence Cassez, 36, has long been controversial in both Mexico and France.

She was arrested in 2005 at a ranch near Mexico City where three kidnapping victims had been held for two months.

One of the victims was only eight years old.

Kidnapper's girlfriend

It later emerged the arrest, as seen by the public, was in fact a re-enactment staged by the police for the media.

Ms Cassez has always said her only connection with the case was that she was the girlfriend of the leading kidnapper.

But her victims identified her, and said she took an active role in their abductions.

In the appeal hearing her lawyers argued that her trial had been prejudiced from the start because she had been paraded in front of the media as guilty.

But the court rejected that argument, saying that the television footage was not formally considered during the trial.

Her lawyers also cast doubt on the testimony of the kidnap victims who identified her.

Mexico has one of the world's highest kidnap rates, with victims sometimes murdered even after ransoms have been paid, and Ms Cassez's case has attracted little public sympathy.

But many people in France believe she is innocent, and in 2009 President Nicolas Sarkozy pleaded for her to be allowed to serve her sentence in a French jail.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.