Showing posts with label unrest. Show all posts
Showing posts with label unrest. Show all posts

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bahrain medics 'promoted unrest'

3 May 2011 Last updated at 15:58 GMT Troops guard the entrance to the Salmaniya Medical Centre in Manama (18 March 2011) The Salmaniya Medical Centre in Manama became a shelter for pro-democracy protesters Bahrain's justice minister has said 47 medical workers will be charged with acting against the state during the recent unrest in the Gulf kingdom.

The 23 doctors and 24 nurses had promoted efforts to bring down the Sunni monarchy and spread false news, Khaled Bin Ali Al Khalifa alleged.

Activists say medics are being punished for treating pro-democracy protesters hurt in clashes with security forces.

On Monday, two ex-MPs from main Shia opposition group Wifaq were arrested.

Matar Matar and Jawad Fairuz were taken from their homes in the evening and had not been heard of since, members of Wifaq said.

Mr Matar had continued to speak out against Bahrain's heavy-handed clampdown on demonstrators, the imposition of martial law in 15 March, and the bringing in of troops from neighbouring Sunni-ruled Gulf states.

Medical profession 'abused'

Bahraini forces stormed the Salmaniya Medical Centre in Manama - the country's largest hospital - last month as they attempted to quell the protests led mostly by Shia majority community.

The hospital had become a shelter for demonstrators and doctors were providing information on the number of dead and wounded.

Officials said the facility had been "overrun by political and sectarian activity". Dozens of doctors, nurses and other medical staff disappeared.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Sheikh Khaled read out the charges facing the medics, which included promoting efforts to bring down the government, harming the public by spreading false news, embezzlement of public funds, forcefully occupying a public building, incitement, and participating in illegal protests.

The Reuters news agency said the medics were also being charged with "assault that led to death". It quoted the justice minister as saying they had caused the deaths of two protesters by inflicting additional wounds to one and performing unnecessary surgery on another.

Bahraini men flee during a protest as riot police enter their village of Dai, east of Manama, on 24 March Bahrain has clamped down on pro-democracy protests, which it accuses Iran of fomenting

"The medical profession was strongly abused during this period," he said.

Physicians for Human Rights has said there is "hard evidence of systematic and co-ordinated attacks against medical personnel because of their efforts to provide unbiased care for wounded protesters".

At least 30 people have been killed in Bahrain since mid-February. Among them were four policemen, and four opposition supporters who died in custody. More than 400 other people are facing trial.

Last week, four Shias were sentenced to death and three others jailed for life by a military court for the alleged killing of two security men. Human rights groups have urged the Bahraini authorities to halt the sentences.

The media watchdog, Reporters Without Borders, added King Hamad Bin Issa Al Khalifa to its blacklist of "predators" against press freedom.

The Bahraini authorities deny any human rights abuses. They accuse Iran of fomenting the unrest - a charge which Tehran denies.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Uganda unrest over Besigye arrest

18 April 2011 Last updated at 14:21 GMT A Ugandan protester reaches down to pick up a tear gas grenade that police fired at a crowd in Kampala - 18 April 2011 The government has banned public demonstrations Police in Uganda have used tear gas and fired rubber bullets to disperse demonstrators angry about the arrest of the opposition leader, Kizza Besigye.

He was detained after going to join a fresh "walk-to-walk" protest against rising living costs. At least 12 other opposition leaders were arrested too.

The opposition campaign began last week and spread to several towns, at least three people were killed in clashes.

At the weekend, the president described the campaign as "idiotic" and illegal.

Correspondents say the government is desperate to ensure that large street protests do not take place.

Last week it tried to block popular social network sites on the internet.

Dr Besigye, who was arrested and shot in the hand in protests last week, lost to President Yoweri Museveni in February's election but says the poll was rigged.

He has been defeated by Mr Museveni in three presidential elections, gaining 26% to the president's 68% in February.

'Take a walk'

Dr Besigye was detained as he set out on foot from his home in the capital, Kampala, to join the walk-to-work protest.

The BBC's Joshua Mmali in Kampala says plain-clothed security men picked him up off a dirt road near his house, keen to make sure he did not reach the main tarmac highway.

Ugandan opposition leader Kizza Besigye, 14 April 2011 Kizza Besigye was shot in the hand last week

The Forum for Democratic Change leader was taken to the Kasangati police station on the outskirts of the capital where his supporters gathered to protest.

The police and army fought running battles with the protesters, shooting in the air and using tear gas.

Rioters who were pelting passing cars with stones were also arrested.

Elsewhere in Kampala, Democratic Party leader Norbert Mao was arrested shortly after he left his house.

Uganda People's Congress party president, Olara Otunu, participating in the protest for the first time, has also been arrested.

Dr Besigye was charged with inciting violence and causing rioting and was later released on bail - for a second time in a week.

As he left the court, he pledged to continue the protest against rising fuel and food prices this coming Thursday - as part of plans by the opposition to walk to work twice a week.

At a press conference on Saturday, President Museveni warned against further demonstrations.

He insists his government cannot intervene to bring down the price of fuel and food commodities, because high food prices are good for farmers, our correspondent says.

"We made it clear to Besigye that you are not going to demonstrate or to walk," he said, according to AFP news agency.

"If you want to walk, go somewhere and take a walk."

Before February's election, Dr Besigye had called for Egypt-style uprisings in the event of fraud.

The police responded by banning public demonstrations.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.