Showing posts with label return. Show all posts
Showing posts with label return. Show all posts

Monday, April 18, 2011

Rio school shooting pupils return

18 April 2011 Last updated at 23:02 GMT Students in front of the Tasso da Silveira school Students read a special edition of a paper on their return to school Students have returned to the school in Brazil where a gunman killed 12 children on 7 April.

Those killed were between 10 and 13 years old, and all but two were girls.

The gunman, a former pupil at the school in Rio de Janeiro killed himself after being wounded by police.

The director of the school said the first days would be taken up by individual counselling sessions with the students and therapeutic activities such as painting.

A group of parents from the Tasso da Silveira school in the west of Rio met with local officials on Monday to ask for a permanent medical and psychological unit to be created at the school.

Local Education Secretary Claudia Costin said the classrooms where the shootings happened had been repainted to erase traces of bullet holes and blood.

She said the two rooms where the greatest number of pupils had been killed had been turned into a library and an IT room.

Revenge for bullying

On the weekend, officials released new videos recorded by the gunman, 23-year-old Wellington Menezes de Oliveira.

An undated photo released on 15 April 15 shows Wellington Menezes de Oliveira posing with a gun The gunman said he had been bullied at school

In one of them, he reads out the suicide note which was found on him after the shootings.

In the other one, he tells of the humiliations he says he suffered at school. In it, he says he hopes what happened "would serve as a lesson".

Police say he went into a classroom with two revolvers and lined people up before shooting them in the head at close range.

Security video footage shows children running down hallways to escape as he reloaded his guns. He shot himself in the head after being shot in the leg by a policeman.

Four of the 12 pupils who were injured in the attack remain in hospital.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Yale to return Peru's Inca relics

12 February 2011 Last updated at 08:35 GMT A student counts ceramic fragments of Machu Picchu artefacts at Yale. Photo: February 2011 The agreement ends a long dispute over the ownership of the artefacts Yale University has signed an agreement to return to Peru some 5,000 Inca artefacts removed from the famed Machu Picchu citadel nearly a century ago.

The relics - stone tools, ceramics and human and animal bones - will be housed in a new centre in the city of Cuzco.

The deal ends a long dispute over the artefacts, which were taken from Machu Picchu by American explorer Hiram Bingham in 1912.

Machu Picchu, high in the Andes, is Peru's main tourist attraction.

"This agreement ensures the expanded accessibility of these Machu Picchu collections for research and public appreciation in their natural context," Yale President Richard Levin said.

Victor Raul Aguilar, rector of San Antonio Abad University in Cuzco, said he hoped that "all who visit Machu Picchu will enrich their experience and understanding of Inca culture with a visit to the centre".

The International Centre for the Study of Machu Picchu and Inca Culture will be jointly run by the US and Peruvian universities.

Peru had argued during the dispute that the artefacts were lent in 1911 but never returned. It filed a lawsuit against Yale in 2008.

Aerial view of the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu in Cuzco, 3 November, 2010 Machu Picchu is Peru's most important archaeological site

Yale had said that it returned those relics which it borrowed, while it had full ownership of many others.

It also took protest marches and a letter penned by Peruvian President Alan Garcia to his US counterpart Barack Obama to win the battle over the artefacts, the BBC's Dan Collyns in Lima reports.

The relics will be yet another draw for hundreds of thousands of tourists who visit the 15th Century Inca site every year, our correspondent adds.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Murray slumps to defeat on return

Andy Murray Murray played in Rotterdam having initially suggested he wanted a breakAndy Murray lost to Marcos Baghdatis at the World Tennis Tournament in his first game since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open final.

Less than two weeks since his third Grand Slam final loss, world number five Murray was blown away 6-4 6-1 by the Cypriot in just over an hour.

The second-seeded Scot led 3-0 with two service breaks but went into free-fall.

Baghdatis broke Murray three times to win the first set and never looked back as he wrapped up a comfortable victory.

The world number 20 will next play Spaniard Feliciano Lopez in the second round in Rotterdam after seeing off Florian Mayer.

Murray may have been making his first indoor appearance for three months, but it was, more significantly, a chance to begin the process of easing the pain of a straight-sets defeat by Serbia's Djokovic in Melbourne on 30 January.

The 23-year-old had intimated he would take a lengthy sabbatical and instead opted to compete in the Netherlands in a tournament he won two years ago.

Despite his lack of preparation, Murray began his first-round encounter against the unseeded but lively Baghdatis in sparkling fashion.

Djokovic Highlights - Djokovic ends Murray's slam dream in Australian Open final

Two breaks of serve had Murray cruising at 3-0, and although the Cypriot, runner-up at the 2006 Australian Open, fought back with a break of his own, Britain's number one still looked favourite after steadying the ship at 4-2.

But then the wheels fell off as the 25-year-old secured the first set in 39 minutes with four games on the bounce.

The first three games of the second set went with serve, only for Baghdatis, who beat Murray at Wimbledon in 2006, to turn on the style and swiftly come through to seal his second-round spot with the minimum of fuss.

It is not the end of Murray's participation in Rotterdam this week as he and brother Jamie will be involved in the doubles after they were handed a wildcard having initially been overlooked.

Djokovic was ruled out of the World Tennis Tournament because of a shoulder injury and is still needing another week's rest before playing again.

The new Australian Open champion was replaced as top seed by Swede Robin Soderling, who began his defence of the Dutch title with an easy win in less than hour over local favourite Robin Haase.

Two second round results on Wednesday included a defeat for fifth-ranked Jurgen Melzer by unseeded Croat Marin Cilic, while Jo-Wilfried Tsonga had to work hard to beat France's Michael Llodra 4-6 6-4 6-2.

Victory for the eighth seeded Tsonga, who lost the 2008 Australian Open final to Djokovic, came a day after he declared the era of domination by Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal over.

"Federer and Nadal are not alone at the top of the rankings any more," said Tsonga. "Maybe on clay, Nadal's victories are still the same, but not on other surfaces.

"Djokovic and Murray are beating Nadal and Federer very often, all the players are improving their games. It's not just about Nadal and Federer any more."

Other first-round results:
Feliciano Lopez (Spa) bt Florian Mayer (Ger) 6-3 6-4
Mikhail Youzhny (Rus) bt Marcel Granollers (Spa) 6-2 7-6 (8-6)
Benoit Paire (Fra) bt Gilles Simon (Fra) 6-2 2-6 6-3
Marin Cilic (Cro) bt Mischa Zverev (Ger) 6-2 6-4
Michael Llodra (Fra) bt Nikolay Davydenko (Rus) 6-3 7-6 (7-4)
Viktor Troicki (Ser) bt Thomas Schoorel (Ned) 6-2 7-6 (7-1)
Dmitry Tursunov (Rus) bt Andrey Golubev (Kaz) 6-4 7-5
Jurgen Melzer (Aut) bt Jesse Huta Galung (Ned) 6-4 6-4
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (Fra) bt Grigor Dimitro (Bul) 6-4 6-4
Tomas Berdych (Cze) bt Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (Spa) 6-1 6-2
Thiemo de Bakker (Ned) bt Philipp Petzschner (Ger) 6-4 0-6 6-1
Jarkko Nieminen (Fin) bt 3-David Ferrer (Spa) 6-3 6-4
Philipp Kohlschreiber (Ger) beat Lu Yen-Hsun (Tai) 6-4 7-6 (7-5)
Robin Soderling (Swe) bt Robin Haase (Ned) 6-3 6-2
Ivan Ljubicic (Cro) beat Sergiy Stakhovsky (Ukr) 7-6 (7-3) 6-3


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.