View the original article here
This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.
View the original article here
He was detained after going to join a fresh "walk-to-walk" protest against rising living costs. At least 12 other opposition leaders were arrested too.
The opposition campaign began last week and spread to several towns, at least three people were killed in clashes.
At the weekend, the president described the campaign as "idiotic" and illegal.
Correspondents say the government is desperate to ensure that large street protests do not take place.
Last week it tried to block popular social network sites on the internet.
Dr Besigye, who was arrested and shot in the hand in protests last week, lost to President Yoweri Museveni in February's election but says the poll was rigged.
He has been defeated by Mr Museveni in three presidential elections, gaining 26% to the president's 68% in February.
'Take a walk'
Dr Besigye was detained as he set out on foot from his home in the capital, Kampala, to join the walk-to-work protest.
The BBC's Joshua Mmali in Kampala says plain-clothed security men picked him up off a dirt road near his house, keen to make sure he did not reach the main tarmac highway.
The Forum for Democratic Change leader was taken to the Kasangati police station on the outskirts of the capital where his supporters gathered to protest.
The police and army fought running battles with the protesters, shooting in the air and using tear gas.
Rioters who were pelting passing cars with stones were also arrested.
Elsewhere in Kampala, Democratic Party leader Norbert Mao was arrested shortly after he left his house.
Uganda People's Congress party president, Olara Otunu, participating in the protest for the first time, has also been arrested.
Dr Besigye was charged with inciting violence and causing rioting and was later released on bail - for a second time in a week.
As he left the court, he pledged to continue the protest against rising fuel and food prices this coming Thursday - as part of plans by the opposition to walk to work twice a week.
At a press conference on Saturday, President Museveni warned against further demonstrations.
He insists his government cannot intervene to bring down the price of fuel and food commodities, because high food prices are good for farmers, our correspondent says.
"We made it clear to Besigye that you are not going to demonstrate or to walk," he said, according to AFP news agency.
"If you want to walk, go somewhere and take a walk."
Before February's election, Dr Besigye had called for Egypt-style uprisings in the event of fraud.
The police responded by banning public demonstrations.
View the original article here
View the original article here
Prosecutors say he was aware of Taliban plans to target her but did not act to prevent her murder in Rawalpindi.
They accuse him of failing to provide adequate security for the former PM.
Mr Musharraf - who lives in self-imposed exile in London - denies the allegations.
His spokesman, Fawad Chaudhry, said Mr Musharraf had no intention of returning to Pakistan for the hearing.
"There is no basis for the case. This is a politically motivated court ruling and the [former] president has no intention of complying."
Ms Bhutto was killed while in a gun and suicide attack while travelling in an election motorcade in the city of Rawalpindi in December 2007.
She was twice prime minister of Pakistan, from 1988 to 1990, and from 1993 to 1996.
Questionnaire sentOn Saturday, prosecutors at the anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi said that any further progress in investigating Ms Bhutto's assassination was not possible without Mr Musharraf's presence.
They said they had tried repeatedly to contact Mr Musharraf over the case but he had refused to co-operate.
They added that he would be declared a wanted fugitive if he did not appear for the next hearing on 19 February.
A questionnaire was also sent to Mr Musharraf's London address, but had never been returned, the court said.
Last year, the Pakistani authorities arrested two senior police officers suspected of not giving adequate protection to Ms Bhutto at the time of her murder.
According to prosecutors, the two officials told investigators that on the orders of Mr Musharraf they removed a security detail for Ms Bhutto just before she departed the venue where she was speaking in Rawalpindi.
She was killed shortly afterwards.
Mr Musharraf denies all the allegations, describing them as politically-motivated.
He has not publicly commented on the issuing of the arrest warrant.
Mr Musharraf seized power in 1999 when, as chief of Pakistan's army, he ousted elected Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in a coup. He resigned as president in 2008.
View the original article here