Showing posts with label forces. Show all posts
Showing posts with label forces. Show all posts

Monday, May 2, 2011

US forces kill Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan

2 May 2011 Last updated at 09:12 GMT Osama Bin Laden Bin Laden was top of the US "most wanted" list Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden has been killed by US forces in Pakistan, President Barack Obama has said.

Bin Laden was killed in a ground operation outside Islamabad based on US intelligence, the first lead for which emerged last August.

Mr Obama said after "a firefight", US forces took possession of the body.

Bin Laden is believed to be the mastermind of the attacks on New York and Washington on 11 September 2001 and a number of others.

He was top of the US' "most wanted" list.

Mr Obama said it was "the most significant achievement to date in our nation's effort to defeat al-Qaeda".

The US has put its embassies around the world on alert, warning Americans of the possibility of al-Qaeda reprisal attacks for Bin Laden's killing.

Crowds gathered outside the White House in Washington DC, chanting "USA, USA" after the news emerged.

A US official quoted by Associated Press news agency said Bin Laden's body had been buried at sea, although this has not been confirmed.

Compound raided

Bin Laden had approved the 9/11 attacks in which nearly 3,000 people died.

Continue reading the main story Roger Hardy Islamic affairs analyst

How will al-Qaeda react? In the short term, the Obama administration is already bracing itself for possible revenge attacks. But for many the bigger question is whether, in the longer run, al-Qaeda can survive.

Since the start of the year, some experts have argued that the uprisings in the Arab world have rendered it irrelevant. They will see Bin Laden's death as confirming the trend. Perhaps.

But the root causes of radical Islam - the range of issues that enabled al-Qaeda to recruit disaffected young Muslims to its cause - remain, for the most part, unaddressed. The death of Bin Laden will strike at the morale of the global jihad, but is unlikely to end it.

He evaded the forces of the US and its allies for almost a decade, despite a $25m bounty on his head.

Mr Obama said he had been briefed last August on a possible lead to Bin Laden's whereabouts.

"It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground," Mr Obama said.

"I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located Bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan.

"And finally, last week, I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action, and authorised an operation to get Osama Bin Laden and bring him to justice," the president said.

On Sunday a team of US forces undertook the operation in Abbottabad, 100km (62 miles) north-east of Islamabad.

After a "firefight" Bin Laden was killed and his body taken by US forces, the president said.

Mr Obama said "no Americans were harmed".

Giving more details of the operation, a senior US official said a small US team had conducted the raid in about 40 minutes.

One helicopter was lost due to "technical failure". The team destroyed it and left in its other aircraft.

Three other men were killed in the raid - one of Bin Laden's sons and two couriers - the official said, adding that one woman was also killed when she was used as "a shield" and two other women were injured.

The size and complexity of the structure in Abbottabad had "shocked" US officials.

Barack Obama gives a statement confirming the death of Osama Bin Laden

It had 4m-6m (12ft-18ft) walls, was eight times larger than other homes in the area and was valued at "several million dollars", though it had no telephone or internet connection.

The US official said that intelligence had been tracking a "trusted courier" of Bin Laden for many years. The courier's identity was discovered four years ago, his area of operation two years ago and then, last August, his residence in Abbottabad was found, triggering the start of the mission.

Another senior US official said that no intelligence had been shared with any country, including Pakistan, ahead of the raid.

"Only a very small group of people inside our own government knew of this operation in advance," the official said.

The Abbottabad residence is just a few hundred metres from the Pakistan Military Academy - the country's equivalent of West Point.

The senior US official warned that the possibility of revenge attacks had now created "a heightened threat to the homeland and to US citizens and facilities abroad".

But the official added that "the loss of Bin Laden puts the group on a path of decline that will be difficult to reverse".

He said Bin Laden's probable successor, Ayman al-Zawahiri, was "far less charismatic and not as well respected within the organisation", according to reports from captured al-Qaeda operatives.

'Momentous achievement'

Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Bin Laden had "paid for his actions".

A Pakistani government statement said Bin Laden's death "illustrates the resolve of the international community, including Pakistan, to fight and eliminate terrorism".

Former US President George W Bush described the news as a "momentous achievement".

Map

"The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done," Mr Bush said in a statement.

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner says that, to many in the West, Bin Laden became the embodiment of global terrorism, but to others he was a hero, a devout Muslim who fought two world superpowers in the name of jihad.

The son of a wealthy Saudi construction family, Bin Laden grew up in a privileged world. But soon after the Soviets invaded Afghanistan he joined the mujahideen there and fought alongside them with his Arab followers, a group that later formed the nucleus for al-Qaeda.

After declaring war on America in 1998, Bin Laden is widely believed to have been behind the bombings of US embassies in East Africa, the attack on the USS Cole in Yemen in 2000 and the attacks on New York and Washington.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Syrian forces shoot at mourners


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Rival Yemen forces clash in Sanaa

13 April 2011 Last updated at 12:27 GMT Pictures show the aftermath of clashes in the southern city of Aden

Rival Yemeni forces have clashed in the capital Sanaa, killing two soldiers, as protests continued across the country.

Troops loyal to President Ali Abdullah Saleh clashed with those supporting Gen Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar, who has defected to the opposition.

In the southern city of Aden, soldiers opened fire as protesters threw stones and set up roadblocks to stop troops patrolling the streets.

One person was killed and several others wounded, reports say.

Tens of thousands of people are marching in cities across the country, as protesters keep up weeks of pressure aimed at forcing President Saleh out of power after 32 years in office.

'Worrying development'

The clash in Sanaa between rival security forces happened early on Wednesday morning at a checkpoint run by the first army division, which supports the opposition.

The rival sides exchanged fire with machine-guns and rocket-propelled grenades after the pro-opposition soldiers stopped a car carrying pro-government security personnel, who reportedly refused to be searched.

This is a particularly worrying incident as Yemen's capital is guarded by two rival military units, and any confrontation between them could be very difficult to contain, says a BBC correspondent in Sanaa.

More than 100 people have been killed since the start of the protests on 11 February, which were inspired by the popular uprisings that toppled long-time rulers in Tunisia and Egypt.

In addition to democratic and economic reforms, the protesters want to see legal action against Mr Saleh and his sons, who occupy key security and political posts.

On Monday, opposition groups rejected outright a proposal by Gulf Arab countries for Mr Saleh to transfer power to his deputy in exchange for immunity from prosecution.

They now say they will hold talks with Gulf ambassadors to see if a timetable can be agreed and other details ironed out.

Even before the mass protests, Mr Saleh was struggling to quell a separatist rebellion in the south and a Shia Muslim insurgency in the north.

Analysts fear the violence could give the Arabian Peninsula branch of al-Qaeda more room to operate.

Send your pictures and videos to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to 61124 (UK) or +44 7725 100 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.

Read the terms and conditions


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Iraq forces attack Iranian exiles

8 April 2011 Last updated at 13:32 GMT Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki at his compound in Baghdad, Iraq, 7 April 2011 Iranian exiles accused Iraqi PM Nouri Maliki of ordering the attack Iraqi forces have attacked a camp housing an Iranian exile group north of Baghdad, home to about 3,500 people.

Reports suggest at least three died in the clashes between troops and the People's Mujahideen Organisation of Iran (PMOI) at Camp Ashraf.

The PMOI said more than 25 were killed and many wounded in the raid, but Iraqi officials have disputed the figures.

US Defence Secretary Robert Gates expressed concern and urged Iraq to show restraint.

The PMOI, a guerrilla group that opposes Iran's Shia cleric leaders, is considered a terrorist group by the US and Iran.

'Unprecedented murder'

The Iraqi army says that it went into Camp Ashraf, in Diyala province, to confront stone-throwers, and that the clashes were limited.

But the PMOI described the raid, which took place early on Friday, as a full-scale military assault with armoured vehicles.

Continue reading the main story
I can't deny the occurrence of injuries among residents of Camp Ashraf, because we do not have information from inside the camp”

End Quote Ali al-Dabbagh Iraqi government The PMOI said Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki, under the order of Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, had committed an "unprecedented murder in Ashraf".

Major Hassan al-Tamimi of the Iraqi army in Baquba, capital of the province, told AFP news agency that three people had been killed and 20 injured, among them six soldiers.

But the death toll was not confirmed by the government.

Iraqi government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said Ashraf residents had thrown rocks at security forces during a "riot" and denied that Iraqi forces had opened fire.

"The security forces have pushed back residents of Camp Ashraf inside the camp by force," Mr Dabbagh said. "The situation is now controlled."

"I can't deny the occurrence of injuries among residents of Camp Ashraf, because we do not have information from inside the camp," he added.

'International obligations'

The PMOI, also known as Mojahedin-e Khalq, set up Camp Ashraf in Iraq in the 1980s and was welcomed by then-President Saddam Hussein, who was fighting a war against Iran.

The PMOI's military wing fought alongside Iraqi soldiers.

Correspondents say many of the organisation's members continue to live in Camp Ashraf, to the annoyance of both Iraqi and Iranian governments.

Human rights organisations say that the residents of the camp should be protected from persecution or attack.

Mr Gates, who is visiting Iraq, said: "We're very concerned with reports of deaths and injuries resulting from this morning's clashes.

"I urge the Iraqi government to show restraint and to live up to its commitments to treat residents of Ashraf according to Iraqi law and their international obligations."

In January, a Spanish judge opened an investigation into a raid by Iraqi security forces on Camp Ashraf in July 2009 which left 11 people dead. He wanted to see whether crimes against humanity were committed.

A complaint filed by human rights lawyers on behalf of relatives of the victims alleged that police and soldiers shot and beat unarmed residents of the camp so they could clear a space to build a police station there.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Davies injury forces Hook switch

2011 Six Nations Championship - Italy v Wales
Venue: Stadio Flaminio, Rome Date: Sat, 26 February Kick-off: 1430 GMT
Coverage: Watch live on BBC One and online from 1400; listen on BBC Radio 5 Live, Radio Wales and Radio Cymru; live text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles
James Hook and Jamie Roberts James Hook and Jamie Roberts will be Wales centre partners against Italy in Rome
Injury has forced Wales coach Warren Gatland into one starting XV change for their Six Nations clash against Italy at Stadio Flaminio on Saturday.

Jonathan Davies' hamstring strain means James Hook moves from fly-half to centre to win his 50th cap and Stephen Jones is back for his 98th cap at 10.

Shane Williams wins his 78th cap on his 34 birthday in Rome and Leigh Halfpenny is on the bench after an ankle injury.

But there are no pack changes following Wales' 26-4 win over Scotland.

Gatland's side began the tournament with a 26-19 defeat by England at the Millennium Stadium and bounced back with the triumph at Murrayfield.

Davies suffered his hamstring strain in that win in which his kick led to wing Williams winning the race for the wing's second try.

Williams' first touchdown came after Hook broke through during early pressure on his return to the jersey he covets.

Rick O'Shea checks out Italy

But with Tom Shanklin (knee injury), Osprey Andrew Bishop (ankle) and Gavin Henson yet to have a run of fitness and form at either Saracens or new club Toulon, Wales' options at centre to partner Jamie Roberts were limited.

Jones replaced Hook in the last quarter at Murrayfield and he joins Six Nations reject Martyn Williams as the second-most capped players in Wales' history behind 100-cap rugby league Crusader Gareth Thomas.

They go to Rome with Gatland praising his pack's recent work in the absence of British and Irish Lions props Gethin Jenkins (toe) and Adam Jones (elbow).

Jenkins' stand-in Paul James and Jones' replacement Craig Mitchell limped off at Murrayfield, but are over their "bumps and bruises".

In 2009, Gatland's second Six Nations in charge, he made numerous changes in a bid to improve the side's strength in depth.

However, that plan backfired as Wales struggled to a 20-15 win - a bigger margin of victory would have meant Wales finishing second in the table that season. Instead, they finished fourth.

This is very much a vote of confidence for the forwards, they have been going extremely well as a unit
Wales attack coach Robert Howley

Gatland has resisted any temptation to repeat that experiment and is also mindful of Italy coming within a whisker of beating Ireland for the first time in this season's championship in Rome, with a late Ronan O'Gara drop-goal saving the visitors in a 13-11 win.

Although the wheels came off for the Azzurri in their next match with a 59-13 hammering by England at Twickenham, Wales also have memories of losing twice in Rome - in 2003 and 2007.

Gatland said: "We have selected the strongest possible side, showing the utmost respect to Italy.

"We know only too well what tough opponents they are in Rome and so we have picked the strongest team available to us."

Ex-skipper Ryan Jones remains at number eight following his showing at Murrayfield, where he started in the wake of the shoulder injury that forced Andy Powell off against England.

Wales attack coach Robert Howley said: "This is very much a vote of confidence for the forwards, they have been going extremely well as a unit and we are looking for more of the same against Italy.

"Our hand has been forced in the back line. Jonathan is simply not ready this weekend after struggling with his hamstring since the Scotland game.

"Italy are a different animal at home, they showed that against Ireland."

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Morgan Stoddart (Scarlets), James Hook (Ospreys), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Shane Williams (Ospreys); Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Paul James (Ospreys), Matthew Rees (Scarlets, capt), Craig Mitchell (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues), Ryan Jones (Ospreys).
Replacements: Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), John Yapp (Blues), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues).

Wales squad:

Forwards: Paul James (Ospreys), John Yapp (Blues), Craig Mitchell (Ospreys), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Blues), Matthew Rees (Scarlets, capt), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Blues), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Andy Powell (Wasps), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Rob McCusker (Scarlets), Dan Lydiate (Dragons).

Backs: Mike Phillips (Ospreys), Dwayne Peel (Sale), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), James Hook (Ospreys), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Shane Williams (Ospreys), Morgan Stoddart (Scarlets), Lee Byrne (Ospreys), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues).


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.