Showing posts with label murder. Show all posts
Showing posts with label murder. Show all posts

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Murder victims' bodies back in NI

24 August 2011 Last updated at 23:00 GMT Hearses carrying victims' bodies The two women's bodies were returned to Newry on Wednesday afternoon The bodies of Marion Graham and Kathy Dinsmore, who were murdered in Turkey, have been taken to their home towns of Newry and Warrenpoint.

The women, who were both in their 50s, were stabbed to death near the west coast city of Izmir last week.

The victims' bodies were released from a mortuary in Izmir on Monday and flown to Dublin Airport on Wednesday.

The hearses were accompanied by friends and family and the police on both sides of the border on their journey north.

Both funerals will be on Friday - Ms Graham's in Newry in the morning and Ms Dinsmore's in Warrenpoint in the afternoon.

Ms Graham's daughter Shannon arrived home on Monday night accompanied by her father.

In a statement earlier, St Mary's High School - which Shannon attended - said staff and pupils were "deeply saddened" by the tragic deaths.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Shannon during this very difficult time," the statement said.

"As a school community we will ensure all the support is available to both Shannon and her peers as they begin a new academic year."

Suspect's confession

Shannon's Turkish boyfriend Recep Cetin has reportedly confessed to the double killing.

The suspect, also known as Alex, worked at a restaurant in the popular tourist resort of Kusadasi.

It is alleged that he confessed to killing Ms Graham and Ms Dinsmore, after being refused permission to marry Shannon.

The suspect is alleged to have taken Ms Dinsmore and Ms Graham to a secluded wooded area and murdered them there.

The friends were on holiday in Kusadasi, about 100km from Izmir.

Shannon was on a boat trip when the killings happened. She alerted police when she arrived home and could not get in touch with her mother.


View the original article here

Monday, August 22, 2011

Woman is jailed for bottle murder

22 August 2011 Last updated at 15:27 GMT William Reilly William Reilly was beaten on the head with bottles of alcohol A woman has been jailed for life for murdering a 91-year-old blind man by battering him with a bottle of wine.

Melanie Cole, 49, attacked William Reilly at his home in Tower Gardens, Tottenham, north London, on 29 December. He died a week later.

The Old Bailey heard Cole, who must serve at least 30 years in prison, "murdered him for money".

Cole, of Culford Road, Islington, was cleared of murdering another man in 2005.

Jurors heard Mr Reilly was found covered in blood sitting on his bed, by his son James.

Money stolen

He had suffered head injuries after being beaten with a bottle of Chateauneuf-du-Pape and a bottle of liqueur.

The retired builder, who was registered blind and almost completely deaf, died a week later in hospital after developing pneumonia.

Zoe Johnson, prosecuting, said Cole killed Mr Reilly for the money he had in his coat pocket.

The court heard Cole would turn up at the house unannounced and had previously stolen money from Mr Reilly after they met in a local pub.

Cole denied the charge and claimed Mr Reilly was well when she left him.

Judge David Paget told her: "It may be that you will never be released and may die in prison.

"You battered to death a 91-year-old man in his home in order to get money from him for drink or drugs. It may have been only £20.

"What is truly shocking is the brutality of what you did."

Melanie Cole Melanie Cole was ordered to serve a minimum of 30 years in jail

Cole was acquitted of murder in 2005 after two juries failed to reach verdicts in the case of Robin Williams, 47.

Mr Williams was found in a bath at his home in Tottenham having been hit over the head with a bottle and stabbed.

The jury was not told of the previous case because it would have been prejudicial, the court heard.

Mr Reilly, who was born in Balla, County Mayo, the Republic of Ireland, was part of a large family.

In a statement, his son Sean said Mr Reilly, who was much-loved by his friends and family, had been killed in a "brutal and mindless act".

Mr Reilly said: "He stood for decency and integrity - qualities which Melanie Cole knew nothing about."


View the original article here

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Man convicted of birthday murder

13 April 2011 Last updated at 19:31 GMT Dungannon murder victim, Eamon Hughes Eamonn Hughes was killed in September 2008 A man has been convicted of the murder of Eamonn Hughes, 49, in Dungannon in September 2008.

Martin Murray, 23, from Windmill Drive, in the town, was found guilty at Laganside Court on Wednesday.

Liam Murray, 24, and Kevin Toye, 24, from Windmill Court, Dungannon, and William McDonagh, 25, from Kew Gardens in Ballymena, were acquitted of the murder.

Toye was convicted of the attempted murder of two women at the scene.

Martina Donaghy and her daughter Emma were run over by Toye in a stolen taxi as they tried to help Mr Hughes.

Mr Hughes was stabbed on 13 September 2008, as he walked home from a club in Dungannon after his daughter's 18th birthday party.

The trial heard there had been a brawl in the street following an earlier disturbance at the party in a local club.

Martin Murray had admitted having a knife and stabbing Mr Hughes but had claimed it was in self defence.

The judge, Mr Justice Tracey rejected that argument and convicted him of murder.

The four men had hijacked a taxi which was used to travel to the scene and run down and seriously injure two women who had been giving first aid to Mr Hughes.

Cross bow

Toye, who had been driving the stolen taxi, was convicted of the attempted murder of both women, but the others were acquitted of the same charge as they had been passengers in the vehicle.

A fifth defendant, Kevin Murray, 41, from Lisnahull Gardens had been accused of the attempted murder of Mr Hughes' son, Kevin, who was shot with a cross bow during the disturbance.

Kevin Murray was acquitted on the grounds that there was insufficient evidence to prove that he had been trying to kill Kevin Hughes.

After the verdicts, Mr Hughes' widow Eileen said she was disappointed and that "justice has not been done".

Mrs Doherty, who was knocked down by the hijacked taxi, said she felt numb after the verdicts.

"We're lucky to be alive. We will have to carry our injuries, but they have lost a father, Eileen has lost her husband.

"We need peace in the town and they need to be put away for a long time," she said.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SA murder suspect taken to hospital

22 February 2011 Last updated at 09:34 GMT Shrien Dewani leaving Southmead police station after he reported there as part of his bail conditions in January Shrien Dewani was taken to the Bristol Royal Infirmary on Sunday A man accused of ordering the murder of his wife during their honeymoon in South Africa is being treated in hospital, his spokesman has said.

Shrien Dewani, who has been suffering from clinical depression and a stress disorder, was taken to Bristol Royal Infirmary on Sunday, Max Clifford said.

South African authorities want him to be extradited to stand trial accused of ordering the shooting of his wife Anni.

Mr Dewani has denied any involvement in his wife's death.

The 31-year-old, who is on bail, was unable to attend a recent court hearing because he is suffering from depression and severe post-traumatic stress disorder.

'Increasingly concerned'

Mr Clifford said: "He's been increasingly ill over the last couple of months, he's been losing weight.

"Those close to him obviously have become increasingly concerned about his health.

"All Shrien wants, all the family wants, is for the truth to come out.

"If the truth comes out it will be clearly shown that he had nothing to do with this tragedy.

"When he comes out of hospital he is probably going to have to have 24-hour nursing."

Mr Dewani and his 28-year-old Swedish wife had been married for two weeks when she was killed.

The couple's taxi was hijacked on 13 November in Cape Town as they travelled through the Gugulethu township.

Mrs Dewani's body was later found in the abandoned car. Mr Dewani had been released unharmed.

One of the men accused of murdering Mrs Dewani, Mziwamadoda Qwabe, has claimed in a statement released by police that the hijacking which led to her death was staged.

Mr Qwabe and Xolile Mngeni are charged with murder, kidnapping and robbery with aggravating circumstances.

They are due to appear before Wynberg Regional Court in Cape Town on 25 February.

Taxi driver Zola Tongo has already been jailed for 18 years after admitting his role in the murder and making a confession that implicated Mr Dewani.

An extradition hearing has been set for 3 May at Woolwich Crown Court.

Lawyers for Mr Dewani have said they will question whether he would receive a fair trial if extradited.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Murder jury visits site of crash

22 February 2011 Last updated at 11:08 GMT A replica car was placed at the scene for the jury to view A replica car was placed at the scene for the jury to view The jury in the case of a man accused of murdering his wife to get insurance money has visited the scene of the Aberdeenshire crash in which she died.

Malcolm Webster, of Guildford, Surrey, denies murdering first wife Claire Morris by drugging her, crashing their car and setting it on fire in 1994.

He also denies attempting to murder his second wife in New Zealand in 1999.

The judge, jury, accused and legal teams travelled from the High Court in Glasgow for Tuesday's visit.

Jurors were given permission to leave the road and take a closer look down an embankment, at the exact spot where Ms Morris died.

They were at the scene of the crash - a section of the Auchenhuive to Tarves road at Kingoodie - for 12 minutes before leaving to allow a replica car to be placed there.

It was a silent visit and the jury were not addressed.

Mr Webster stands accused of fraudulently obtaining more than £200,000 after cashing in insurance policies following the death of his first wife Ms Morris, who was from Oldmeldrum.

Malcolm Webster and Claire Morris Malcolm Webster is charged with murdering his wife Claire Morris

The 51-year-old is further charged with deliberately crashing his car in Auckland in February 1999 in a bid to kill his second wife, Felicity Drumm, who was a passenger.

It is also alleged he intended to bigamously marry Simone Banarjee, from Oban, Argyll, to gain access to her estate.

It is claimed he told her he was terminally ill with leukaemia when he was actually in good health.

The trial, before Lord Bannatyne, began on 1 February.

It is expected to last several more weeks.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Man, 26, held over Nikitta murder

9 February 2011 Last updated at 16:27 GMT Nikitta Grender Nikitta Grender was expecting a baby in two weeks Detectives investigating the murder of a pregnant teenager on a Newport estate have arrested a 26-year-old man.

Gwent Police said the man, from the Newport area, has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Nikitta Grender, 19, who was eight months pregnant, was found dead in her burning bedroom in Broadmead Park, Liswerry, early on Saturday.

Police have said she was stabbed twice before her first-floor flat was set on fire in a bid to disguise the killing.

Officers said the man, who was arrested at 1000 GMT, is not from the Broadmead Park, Moorland Park or Pontfaen areas of the city.

Searches are continuing in and around the estate for the weapon used in the attack, believed to be a knife, although the exact type has not yet been established.

Police said six premises across the city were also being searched as part of the murder hunt involving more than 50 officers from two police forces.

Ms Grender's body was found in the bedroom of the flat she shared with her boyfriend Ryan Mayes, 18, just before 0800 GMT on Saturday.

The couple had already decorated a room in preparation for the baby girl she was expecting in two weeks, who had been named Kelsey-May.

On Tuesday, a specialist search unit from neighbouring South Wales Police searched streams and culverts around Mr Grender's home.

Gwent Police have confirmed that two knives have been recovered in that search and were undergoing forensic examination, along with a number of other items.

Supt Dave Johnson, Gwent Police: "We continue to appeal for information"

Detectives have also asked for people with their own CCTV in the Broadmead Park, Moorland Park and Pontfaen areas to contact them.

Police said they had taken 58 calls from the public following "strong feeling" in the area.

Det Supt Geoff Ronayne, who is leading the murder hunt, said: "We are continuing with the investigation today and we have many lines of inquiry to follow.

"We are continuing to appeal for information from the communities of Broadmead Park, Moorland Park and Pontfaen, specifically for private CCTV outside their addresses which could be really helpful to the investigation.

"We also want any friends of Nikitta's, anyone in her circle of friends or anyone who has been to her flat to contact us."

Gwent Police said reassuring the public was a priority.

Supt Dave Johnson added: "I do understand as a local police commander that there is strong feeling in the community and a desire for actually this person to be brought to justice.

"The best way that people can support the police in delivering this is to provide us, and to continue to provide us, with the information we require."

Anyone with information can contact the major incident room on 01443 865562, or 01633 838111, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 .


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

VIDEO: DNA helps 'solve' 35-year-old murder

9 February 2011 Last updated at 14:03 GMT Help

View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Parents face daughter murder case

9 February 2011 Last updated at 11:06 GMT Aarushi Talwar The mystery of 14-year-old Aarushi Talwar's death is one of India's most notorious unsolved murders The parents of murdered Indian schoolgirl Aarushi Talwar, whose killing in 2008 shocked the country, are to be tried over her death.

A court near the Indian capital Delhi has ruled there is enough evidence to prosecute Dr Rajesh Talwar and his wife, Nupur, both of whom are dentists.

Magistrate Preeti Singh said they would be charged with murder, destruction of evidence and criminal conspiracy.

The trial is to begin on 28 February. The Talwars say they are innocent.

'A circus'

Their lawyer, Rebecca John, was quoted on Wednesday by India's NDTV channel as saying that the Talwars would appeal against the court order.

"For the last three years, there has been a circus around this case. We will challenge today's order in a superior court of law," she said.

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) filed an application to close the murder inquiry in December.

The federal agency said circumstantial evidence pointed to the parents' involvement in Aarushi's death, but added there was a lack of hard evidence.

Dr Talwar and his wife had described themselves as "completely devastated".

The gruesome tale of murder in an affluent Delhi suburb has generated huge interest in India.

Aarushi, 14, was murdered in her bedroom at the family home in the upmarket Noida district, while her parents were in.

She was found with her throat slit and a fatal head injury.

A day later the bludgeoned body of their servant, Hemraj, was found on the roof.

Aarushi's father was arrested then freed.

Three other men, Dr Talwar's dental assistant and two servants employed by the family's friends and neighbours, were also questioned and released.

The CBI took over the inquiry from Noida police, who had been accused of a botch job.

Noida police were also criticised for statements they made during their investigation.

Days after the murder, a senior police officer told the media that Aarushi had been killed because she had discovered her father's alleged extramarital relationship with another dentist.

The same police chief also suggested the teenager could have been killed because Dr Talwar had objected to her close relationship with the murdered servant.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Man charged over flat fire murder

9 February 2011 Last updated at 14:26 GMT Stewart Taylor Stewart Taylor died in Chalmers Crescent, Edinburgh A 43-year-old man has been charged with the murder of a man whose body was found in a burning flat in Edinburgh.

Stewart Taylor, 33, originally from Aberdeen, died in a flat in Chalmers Crescent on Monday morning.

His girlfriend Lynsey Methven, 30, was found lying seriously injured next to him

Frank Moore, from Newtongrange, appeared at Edinburgh Sheriff Court accused of murder, attempted murder and breach of the peace.

He made no plea or declaration and was remanded in custody.

In a family statement, the Taylor family, said: "Anyone who knew Stewart will understand the indescribable loss we have suffered.

"He was deeply loved by his family and many friends, who have all been left completely devastated by his death.

"We will remember him for his positive outlook in life and his desire to do the best in his career as a chef.

"This tragic loss will leave a huge hole in our family, but we will cherish the happy memories we have.

"Stewart will stay in our hearts forever."


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.