Showing posts with label released. Show all posts
Showing posts with label released. Show all posts

Monday, August 22, 2011

Turkish victims' bodies released

22 August 2011 Last updated at 16:57 GMT Kathy Dinsmore and Marion Graham Kathy Dinsmore and Marion Graham were from County Down The bodies of the two Newry women murdered in Turkey last week have been released for repatriation.

Marion Graham and Kathy Dinsmore, both in their 50s, were stabbed to death in the city of Izmir on Thursday.

Ms Graham's daughter and former partner are now flying back to Northern Ireland.

The Irish Department of Foreign Affairs has said Raymond McGuinness and his daughter Shannon will arrive back in Belfast later.

The boyfriend of Shannon has appeared in court over the murders.

BBC Northern Ireland's Chris Page said he has been told by police sources that Recep Cetin originally told police he had taken the women shopping and they had been abducted.

"Police thought that story didn't really add up," he said.

"They went back to the apartment (in Kusadasi, which the two women where sharing with Shannon Graham and Mr Cetin) to investigate further and there they found some blood-stained clothing in a bag lying on the ground.

"So they arrested Shannon's boyfriend then."

He said a trial, which would be before a judge, not a jury, could last as long as two years.

The women's families hope to fly their bodies home by the middle of this week.

The first full court hearing in relation to the murders is expected to take place on Monday.

Shannon's father, Raymond McGuinness and Ms Graham's son David arrived in Izmir on Saturday.

Prayers were said for the two women in churches in the Turkish city of Izmir and in Northern Ireland on Sunday.

Continue reading the main story image of Chris Page Chris Page BBC NI reporter

It has been widely reported that the suspect is 17, but there is now serious doubt at that.

He has told everyone, including his girlfriend, that that is his age, but police sources have told me he actually is older.

He worked in Kusadasi approaching tourists on the beach and offering to bring them to restaurants. He then earned commission. Several restaurant owners have described him to me as a troubled young man.

Given the suspect has confessed, it's likely the charges will come in the next few days. Anyone convicted of murder in Turkey gets a 36-year sentence per killing, so anyone who has carried out a double murder will spend more than 70 years in prison.

In Kusadasi, both tourists and business people are talking about the murders. Many people working in bars and restaurants knew the ladies and expressed their shock and sadness. I went to an English-language church service in Izmir where the victims and families were prayed for.

Mr McGuinness said the identification process had been completed and his 15-year-old daughter was now his "main concern".

A niece and nephew of Ms Dinsmore have arrived in Turkey to help in the repatriation process.

Detained

The suspect, Mr Cetin, also known as Alex, works at a restaurant in the popular tourist resort of Kusadasi. He was originally reported to be 17, but Turkish police confirmed there was now doubt over his age.

Murder suspect Recep C Doubt has now emerged about the age of the accused, Recep Cetin

It is alleged that he confessed to killing Ms Graham and Ms Dinsmore, after being refused permission to marry Shannon.

The suspect is alleged to have taken Ms Dinsmore and Ms Graham to a secluded wooded area and murdered them there.

The friends were on holiday Kusadasi, about 100km from Izmir.

Shannon was on a boat trip when the killings happened. She alerted police when she arrived home and could not get in touch with her mother.

Newry and Mourne District Council have opened books of condolence which are located at Newry Arts Centre, Newry Town Hall, Warrenpoint Town Hall, Kilkeel Leisure Centre and Crossmaglen Community Centre.


View the original article here

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Thai red-shirt leaders released

22 February 2011 Last updated at 11:31 GMT By Vaudine England BBC News, Bangkok Natthawut Saikua, at a bail hearing on 21 February 2011 Natthawut Saikua was one of seven red-shirt leaders released on bail by the court Seven leaders of Thailand's "red-shirt" protest movement have been freed on bail after nine months in jail on terrorism charges.

Separately another red-shirt, Surachai Damwattananusorn, has been arrested on charges of insulting the monarchy.

The government has meanwhile extended implementation of the Internal Security Act for another month.

It is trying to contain continuing protests by both the red-shirts and the nationalist "yellow-shirt" protesters.

The decision to release all seven red-shirt leaders and a protest guard was a surprise. At most, two leaders were expected to be freed.

But the court ruled that unspecified new evidence made their temporary release possible - on condition that they did not incite or instigate any violence or disorder.

Among them are some famous names from last year's Bangkok protests - Natthawut Saikua, Dr Weng Tojirakarn and Kokaew Pikulthong.

These men dominated the stage as many thousands of red-shirted people camped out in the centre of Bangkok for two months.

After the army moved in for a second time last May, a total of 91 people had died and several hundred had been arrested.

Electioneering

Scores of protesters remain behind bars, though the leadership is now free.

Analysts say this is probably an attempt at reconciliation by the government. It has said it wants to call elections before June.

But political turmoil here is not over. Another red-shirt leader has already said the protest actions would continue.

Conflict with Cambodia over a disputed border in the north is seen as another part of the complex electioneering now in full spate.

A more nationalist anti-government movement known as the yellow-shirts remain encamped near parliament and had been pressing for firm action against Cambodia.

It seems the government is trying to appease both their sentiments and those of the red-shirts, as a series of anniversaries of last year's protests approaches.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Man released over Michaela death

12 February 2011 Last updated at 12:33 GMT Sandip Moneea, 41, Raj Theekoy, 33, and Avinash Treebhoowoon, 29, have been charged over the killing Sandip Moneea, 41, Raj Theekoy, 33, and Avinash Treebhoowoon, 29, have already been charged over the killing One of the men arrested in connection with the murder of Michaela McAreavey in Mauritius has been released without charge.

Seenarain Mungoo, 39, is a security officer at the Legends Hotel and had been charged with conspiracy.

Four men are still being held in connection with the murder.

Mrs McAreavey, 27,the daughter of Tyrone Gaelic football manager Mickey Harte, was found strangled in her honeymoon hotel room in Grand Gaube.

Mr Mungoo is from Petit Raffray- the same village as Sandip Moneea - who is charged with murdering Michaela but has not confessed to the crime.

Sandip Moneea, 41, and Avinash Treebhoowoon, 29, are charged with Mrs McAreavey murder.

Raj Theekoy, 33, has been charged with conspiracy to murder.

In January Mr Treebhoowoon confessed to the killing.

A fourth man, Dassen Narayanen, 26, who also works for hotel security was charged with aiding to commit a crime.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.