Showing posts with label facing. Show all posts
Showing posts with label facing. Show all posts

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dunblane survivor 'facing life'

22 August 2011 Last updated at 11:23 GMT Ryan Liddell. Pic by Central Scotland News Agency Ryan Liddell was badly wounded in the 1996 Dunblane massacre A survivor of the Dunblane massacre has been warned he could face a life sentence for carrying out a sex attack on a 76-year-old woman in her home.

Ryan Liddell, 20, was found guilty of assault with intent to rape following a trial in June.

He was five when he was badly wounded in the 1996 massacre at Dunblane Primary School.

A judge told Liddell that a full risk assessment order would be carried out before he passes sentence.

This assessment can lead to the making of an Order for Lifelong Restriction.

Under such a life sentence - reserved for the most serious sex and violence cases short of murder - a judge fixes a minimum term the offender must serve before he can be released.

'Senseless and brutal'

But any decision to free the offender is taken by the parole board and if released he is kept under supervision.

At the High Court in Edinburgh, Lord Uist told Liddell: "In view of the circumstances of the crime of which you were convicted and the terms of the social enquiry and psychiatric reports on you which I have received I consider that the risk criteria may be met in your case."

The judge ordered that Liddell should be held in Polmont young offenders' institution while a report is prepared on the risk he poses to the public at large if at liberty.

During the "senseless and brutal" attack Liddell pretended he was there to carry out duties as a carer for his victim.

Lord Uist earlier told him that he had been convicted of an appalling attack on an elderly, infirm woman in her own home.

Screams heard

The intruder punched the grandmother repeatedly and kicked her on the head while she was on the floor.

He tore off clothing from the pensioner and dragged her to a bedroom saying he wanted to have sex. The victim told police that he "looked like the Devil" during the attack.

Her attacker fled when the woman's neighbours, who were alerted by her screams, ran downstairs to find her lying naked, bruised and battered with two broken teeth.

Liddell, of Springkerse Road, Stirling, had denied the offence, but was earlier convicted by a jury and sentencing was deferred until August.

The 20-year-old was shot in the chest and arm by Thomas Hamilton during the Dunblane massacre.

Hamilton turned the gun on himself after killing 16 children and their teacher on 13 March 1996.


View the original article here

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Piracy hunt law firm facing costs

18 April 2011 Last updated at 15:31 GMT Postman delivering letters Thousands of letters were sent to computer users threatening them with legal action. A controversial law firm that tried to get money from computer users by accusing them of illegal file sharing could be hit with massive legal fees.

ACS:Law and its one solicitor, Andrew Crossley, sent thousands of letters threatening recipients with court action if they did not pay out.

Now a judge has ruled that the company may be responsible for wasted costs in the case and ordered a full hearing.

Mr Crossley's lawyers declined to comment.

The proceedings represent something of a role reversal. Originally the Patents County Court had been asked to hear the cases brought by Mr Crossley's firm.

After those collapsed, it was decided that he might be liable for costs.

Those could run into thousands of pounds, although that money is likely to be covered by solicitors' insurance.

Lawyer's letters

ACS:Law had originally teamed-up with a company called MediaCAT, which purported to represent copyright owners, such as film and music producers.

Together they sent letters to around 10,000 people in the UK, alleging that the IP addresses of their computers had been linked to illegal file sharing.

Individuals were given the option of paying £500 or facing court action.

Many of those contacted said they had never engaged in such activity and accused ACS:Law of carrying out a speculative "fishing" exercise.

Mr Crossley eventually brought 26 cases to court, but soon after hearings began he tried to have them dismissed, claiming he had been attacked and received death threats.

Judge Colin Birss QC refused to allow proceedings to stop and accused Mr Crossley of trying to "to avoid judicial scrutiny".

Soon after, both ACS:Law and MediaCAT were wound-up.

Profit share

It emerged in court that the two companies had agreed on a profit-sharing model, with ACS:Law receiving 65% of any money recovered.

In his most recent ruling, Mr Birss said that arrangement had "brought the legal profession into disrepute".

He also branded the now-defunct firm "amateurish and slipshod".

The court's decision to press ahead with a hearing on wasted costs was welcomed by lawyers representing those people who received ACS:Law letters.

Michael Forrester, from Ralli Solicitors, said his firm was also planning to pursue claims for harassment against Mr Crossley and urged anyone who was affected to join the action.

"It can be incredibly upsetting for people to receive these letters and they may well have a claim in harassment, so I am urging them to come forward."

Mr Crossley's application for permission to appeal was refused. He is also being investigated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.