Showing posts with label apology. Show all posts
Showing posts with label apology. Show all posts

Monday, April 11, 2011

NoW apology not enough - lawyers

10 April 2011 Last updated at 08:23 GMT Crop of News of the World's printed apology The News of the World's apology Lawyers for two of the News of the World's (NoW) phone-hacking victims have said the paper's apology and offer of compensation are not enough.

The paper is thought to be offering settlements to at least eight people whose voicemail was listened to.

But a lawyer for the actress Sienna Miller said she was continuing her legal action.

Mark Lewis, representing the publicist Nicola Phillips, said his client had turned down an offer from the paper.

The NoW printed its apology in its latest edition over the long-running phone-hacking scandal.

The paper said of the victims: "Here today, we publicly and unreservedly apologise to all such individuals."

It added in a page two article that the hacking "should not have happened" and "was and remains unacceptable".

The NoW's owner, News International, has admitted there were at least eight victims and has put aside £20m for compensation.

'Fairly and efficiently'

The paper said a number of individuals had brought breach of privacy claims against it over wrongful "voicemail interceptions" between 2004 and 2006, and others were threatening to do so.

Lawyer Charlotte Harris, who is involved in several of the current cases, said the NoW's apology was "limited" and several unanswered questions remained.

She told BBC Radio 5 live: "It's all very well saying 'okay, fine, we admit that happened', but how are we meant to know the extent of what happened?

"It's not just about money, we want to know who was it you listened to, who else was involved, how far up, exactly what period, what else have you got, why weren't we told?

"These questions need to be answered, and they can only be answered if we carry on with the cases and don't just settle them in one go."

Ms Harris, whose clients include football agent Sky Andrew and actress Leslie Ash, also said since the apology, people previously frightened to take action would be encouraged to come forward.

The NoW's apology stated: "Evidence has recently come to light which supports some of these claims.

"We have written to relevant individuals to admit liability in these civil cases and to apologise unreservedly, and will do the same to any other individuals where evidence shows their claims to be justifiable.

"We hope to be able to pay appropriate compensation to all these individuals, and have asked our lawyers to set up a compensation scheme to deal with genuine claims fairly and efficiently."

Sienna Miller's lawyer says she has not accepted any offer of settlement

The BBC understands that News International is ready to settle claims over phone hacking with eight people including Sienna Miller, former Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell, designer Kelly Hoppen and sports broadcaster Andy Gray.

The others are Mrs Jowell's estranged husband, lawyer David Mills; former aide to ex-Deputy Prime Minister Lord Prescott Joan Hammell; Nicola Phillips, assistant to publicist Max Clifford; and former Olympian and talent agent Sky Andrew.

Ms Miller's lawyer Mark Thomson said she had not accepted any offer of settlement from the NoW over phone-hacking.

He said: "Sienna's claims are based on outrageous violations of her privacy. Her primary concern is to discover the whole truth and for all those responsible to be held to account."

Court claims

On Friday, News International apologised over the phone-hacking scandal and said it would set up a compensation fund.

There are 24 active claims against the paper being heard by High Court judge Mr Justice Vos.

Mark Lewis, a solicitor involved in several of the current cases, told the BBC that News International's apology was a "step in the right direction".

In 2007, the first police investigation led to the convictions and imprisonment of then NoW royal editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, who was employed by the paper.

On Tuesday, the NoW's chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck, 50, and former news editor Ian Edmondson, 42, were arrested on suspicion of having unlawfully intercepted voicemail messages. They were subsequently released on bail until September.

News International - which is owned by Rupert Murdoch and also owns the Times and the Sun newspapers - said it would continue to co-operate with the Metropolitan Police inquiry.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cameron in Libya response apology

24 February 2011 Last updated at 11:09 GMT David Cameron David Cameron said he was "extremely sorry" for the delay in evacuating Britons from Libya Prime Minister David Cameron has said he is "extremely sorry" for the government's handling of the evacuation of British nationals from Libya.

He said it had not been an easy situation and ministers needed to "learn the lessons".

It follows criticism of the government's response to the crisis.

A plane chartered by oil companies for employees, with 78 passengers, has arrived at Gatwick and a government-chartered flight has also left Libya.

The prime minister said: "Of course I am extremely sorry. They have had a difficult time. The conditions at the airport have been extremely poor."

A flight chartered by oil companies arrived at Gatwick at about 0715 GMT.

The airport said the plane carried 78 passengers. Earlier reports suggested more people had been on board.

A government-chartered flight, which left Tripoli at 0745 GMT, is now on its way back to the UK with a stop-over in Malta.

It is expected to land in the UK in the early evening.

British nationals have started to arrive home from protest-hit Libya

A RAF Hercules C130 aircraft is also expected to return to the UK later with dozens of passengers. A second military plane is on standby in Malta if needed.

The Foreign Office said "a number of additional planes" could be sent to Libya throughout the day.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed that Royal Navy frigate HMS Cumberland is now at the entrance to the harbour in Benghazi.

It will help with the evacuation process if needed.

A meeting of Cobra, the government's emergency planning committee, is being chaired by Foreign Secretary William Hague.

Helena Sheehan, 66, one of the passengers who landed at Gatwick earlier, said she had just experienced "some of the worst hours of her life".

"Libya is descending into hell," she said.

"The airport is like nothing I've ever seen in my whole life. It's absolute chaos. There's just thousands and thousands of people trying to get out."

The British Red Cross has deployed a team of volunteers to Gatwick airport to provide support to Britons being evacuated.

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said an SAS contingent has been put on standby for emergency deployment to parts of Libya, backed up by paratroopers of the Special Forces Support Group.

Our correspondent said: "With the situation for some British nationals in Libya fast deteriorating, it's part of a range of options being considered by the government to rescue those stranded in the North African country.

"Exact numbers and the locations of any staging areas are being kept secret but it's a scenario that British Special Forces have trained hard for - landing in the midst of a dangerous and chaotic situation then securing the safe passage out of stranded Britons, all hopefully without a shot being fired."

Several other countries, including France, Russia and the Netherlands have already evacuated some of their citizens.

UK nationals wishing to register an interest in flights out of Libya should call the following numbers: 020 7008 0000 from the UK or 021 3403644/45 from Libya.

The Foreign Office is advising against all but essential travel to Libya.

Around 3,500 Britons had been living in Libya before the crisis but most of those are thought to have left in recent days.

A woman is emotional as her husband arrives on a flight from Tripoli that was chartered by oil companies Passengers landing at Gatwick expressed relief to have left Libya

However, there is particular concern for some British oil workers thought to be stranded in isolated desert camps.

They are struggling to make contact because the phone networks have been disrupted and their supplies of food and water from Libyan cities are running out.

"Some we know have been subjected to attacks and looting. They are in a perilous and frightening situation," said Mr Hague.

After a week of upheaval in Libya, protesters backed by defecting army units are thought to have almost the entire eastern half of Libya under their control.

The country's beleaguered leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, who has been in power for 42 years, has vowed to fight to his "last drop of blood" rather than leave the country.

Earlier, Mr Hague told the BBC the "odds were stacking up" against Col Gaddafi, adding: "We have a government, or the remnant of a government, here which is prepared to use force and violence against its own people."

He said the Libyan leadership will be "held to account" for crimes against its people.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hague judges await Taylor apology

11 February 2011 Last updated at 09:08 GMT Former Liberian President Charles Taylor in court on 8 February 2011 Charles Taylor is accused of selling "blood diamonds" from Sierra Leone Judges at the war crimes trial of Liberia's former President Charles Taylor are waiting to see if he will apologise as ordered for walking out earlier this week.

Defence sources say Mr Taylor will continue his boycott but his lawyer will appear.

The judges have said they could impose sanctions if lawyer Courtenay Griffiths does not apologise for walking out.

Mr Taylor denies 11 counts - including murder, rape, and using child soldiers.

Mr Taylor is accused of arming and controlling the Revolutionary United Front (RUF) rebels in neighbouring Sierra Leone during a 10-year campaign of terror conducted largely against civilians.

The RUF became infamous for hacking off the limbs of their victims, and using rape and murder to terrorise the population.

The trial started in June 2007. Mr Taylor also boycotted the opening, arguing he would not get a fair trial.

Friday was due to be the last day of the trial but the defence did not make its closing arguments as expected on Wednesday, so it is not clear what will happen.

Continue reading the main story 1989: Launches rebellion in Liberia1991: RUF rebellion starts in Sierra Leone1995: Peace deal signed1997: Elected president1999: Liberia's Lurd rebels start insurrection to oust Mr TaylorJune 2003: Arrest warrant issuedAugust 2003: Steps down, flees to NigeriaMarch 2006: Arrested, sent to Sierra LeoneJune 2007: Trial opens in The HagueMr Taylor and his lawyers are upset at the court's refusal to accept a 500-page written summary of the trial that was submitted late.

"What we were trying to do is ensure we get some semblance of justice out of this and it's turned into this personalised attack on us," Mr Griffiths told reporters outside the court on Wednesday. "I find it totally despicable."

The defence has argued that Mr Taylor tried to broker peace in Sierra Leone at the request of regional powers.

He is accused of selling "blood diamonds" for the rebels, in return for supplying them with weapons.

Last year supermodel Naomi Campbell and actress Mia Farrow were summoned to give evidence at the trial.

The prosecution was trying to establish a link between Mr Taylor and a number of uncut diamonds that Miss Campbell said she had been given in South Africa in 1997.

The Special Court for Sierra Leone in The Hague has heard from more than 100 witnesses in what is the first international trial of an African former head of state.

The judges are expected to deliver a verdict later in the year.

If convicted, Mr Taylor would serve a prison sentence in the UK.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.