Showing posts with label threat. Show all posts
Showing posts with label threat. Show all posts

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Front-line NHS jobs 'face threat'

11 April 2011 Last updated at 01:30 GMT By Nick Triggle Health reporter, BBC News Doctors and nurses The RCN believes 40,000 posts could close in the next three years Front-line clinical jobs in the NHS are under threat in England, a union says.

A Royal College of Nursing analysis of 21 NHS trusts where cuts were taking place found more than half of posts under threat were in areas such as nursing and midwifery.

RCN leader Peter Carter said cutting thousands of doctors and nurses could have a "catastrophic" effect on care.

But deputy prime minister Nick Clegg maintained radical reorganisation of the NHS is needed.

Overhaul

While the health budget has been protected, savings still have to be made because of the rising demands linked to the ageing population, new drugs and lifestyle factors like obesity.

A target of £20bn has been set by 2014-15 - a saving of about 4% a year - which ministers have insisted can be achieved through cutting management costs and by front-line services becoming more efficient.

But the union, which released the findings at the start of its four-day annual conference in Liverpool, said its research showed this was not happening.

Continue reading the main story
Clinical staff are the lifeblood of the NHS and it is haemorrhaging at an alarming rate”

End Quote Peter Carter RCN general secretary Some of the proposed changes that mark the biggest shake up of the NHS to date have been opposed by one of Mr Clegg's closest advisers.

Lib Dem MP Norman Lamb has said the plans pose a major "financial risk" to the NHS, and has threatened to quit unless ministers rethink some aspects, such as "the rush" to give GPs control of budgets.

Speaking to the BBC's Today programme, Mr Clegg insisted the changes, including some cuts, were necessary, but said the finer details of the plan were up for debate over the next couple of months.

Services closed

The RCN has been gathering evidence about the number of posts under threat in the NHS for nearly a year.

It believes there are now 40,000 posts which could close in the next three years, a rise from 27,000 at the end of last year. Most of these will not be redundancies as the NHS tends to rely on natural turnover from people retiring or changing jobs.

As part of its latest research, the RCN took an in-depth look at 21 trusts to see what sort of posts were being targeted.

Continue reading the main story Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust is proposing to cut its nurse, midwife and health visitor workforce by 264 by 2015 - a 15% reduction. The trust says the changes are at the planning stage and are "open to change"At London's Kingston Hospital 214 out of 486 job cuts are in nursing, midwifery and health visiting. The trust said it was part of a five-year plan and services should not sufferCounty Durham and Darlington NHS Trust has a £60m savings plan which it wants implemented by 2014. It involves losing 300 nurse posts, but the trust said the figure was just estimated at the moment and was based on falling income and workloadIt showed that 54% of about 10,000 job cuts were clinical and, in total, more than a tenth of the nursing workforce could be lost in these areas.

The union also said it had found examples of services being closed, including rehab centres, detox units and talking therapies.

RCN general secretary Peter Carter said the reforms could "well turn out to be the biggest disaster in the history of our public services" if unions and other organisations were not listened to.

"Clinical staff are the lifeblood of the NHS and it is haemorrhaging at an alarming rate. Many trusts are not being transparent by admitting the proportion of clinical jobs being lost.

"From our research we now know the truth - the majority of job losses are front-line clinical jobs, the jobs that matter to patients.

Health Minister, Simon Burns, tells BBC Breakfast that there will be no huge cuts among front line health staff

"Cutting thousands of doctors and nurses could have a catastrophic impact on patient safety and care. Our figures expose the myth that front-line services are protected."

But NHS chief executive Sir David Nicholson questioned the findings, pointing out that latest workforce figures up to December 2010 suggested that nurse posts were continuing to rise.

He added: "There is no excuse to cut back on services that patients need when the NHS will receive an extra £11.5bn of funding.

"The NHS does need to become more efficient, but savings must not impact adversely on patient care. We are clear that every penny saved from efficiencies will be reinvested in patient services."


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Monkeys 'harbour malaria threat'

8 April 2011 Last updated at 11:45 GMT By James Gallagher Health reporter, BBC News Monkeys A type of malaria could move from monkeys to humans, say scientists Scientists are warning that a species of malaria could switch from targeting monkeys to humans.

Macaques in south east Asia are a vast source of Plasmodium knowlesi which can spread to people, they write in PLoS Pathogens.

They believe that growing human populations and increased deforestation in the region could lead to the parasite switching host.

But those changes could also reduce the spread of the disease.

Around one million people die each year as a result of malaria.

It is caused by parasites and is spread by mosquitoes when they drink blood.

'Huge reservoir'

P. knowlesi is known as the fifth malarial parasite in humans.

It mostly exists in monkeys, however, there have been human cases and it has been shown in the laboratory to be able to spread from human to human.

Continue reading the main story
With increasing human populations and deforestion we may get a shift to humans”

End Quote Professor Balbir Singh University Malaysia Sarawak In south east Asia, the macaques are the second most common primate after humans.

Blood tests on 108 wild macaques showed that more than three quarters were infected with the malaria parasite.

Professor Balbir Singh, from the Malaria Research Centre at Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, told the BBC: "they are a huge reservoir of Plasmodium knowlesi."

Genetic analysis showed that P. knowlesi had existed in monkeys since before humans settled in south east Asia. The researchers said humans were being infected from the 'reservoir', rather than the disease spreading between humans.

Prof Singh raised concerns about what could happen in the future: "We don't know how mosquito behaviour will change.

"With increasing human populations and deforestation we may get a shift to humans. The number of malaria cases is coming down so there is also decreased immunity. Or would deforestation reduce numbers? It could go either way."

Dr Hilary Ranson, from the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, said: "It seems a very reasonable thing to speculate.

"Deforestation or any perturbation of the ecosystem frequently leads to humans being exposed to an expanded range of biting insects and the pathogens they transmit, yellow fever is a good example of this."

She said if humans catch the parastite more often then P knowlesi may evolve to target humans.

"To me the important message is that disruption of the environment exposes people to a range of known and potentially unknown pathogens transmitted by blood feeding insects that do not typically feed on humans" she added.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

US threat 'at highest since 9/11'

9 February 2011 Last updated at 17:14 GMT Janet Napolitano speaking in front of the House of Representatives Homeland Security Committee Ms Napolitano warned that the US faced new threats of terrorism by individuals already inside the country The threat of terrorism against the US homeland is in some aspects "at its most heightened state" since the 9/11 attacks, US Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has said.

"The terrorist threat facing our country has evolved significantly," she told members of Congress.

The US faced new threats by groups already inside the country, inspired by al-Qaeda, she said.

Ms Napolitano warned that attacks could be carried out with little warning.

Al-Qaeda and Taliban-linked individuals have attempted a number of recent attacks against the US, including a Nigerian who tried to blow up an aircraft with explosives hidden in his underwear, and a man who plotted to attack the New York subway.

'No guarantee'

State and local law enforcement officials are increasingly needed to combat terror, and the federal government must focus on supporting their efforts to secure communities, Ms Napolitano said in testimony to the House of Representatives Homeland Security Committee.

Continue reading the main story
Homegrown radicalization is a growing threat, and one we cannot ignore”

End Quote Peter King Republican Representative from New York There is an increased reliance by foreign militant groups on recruiting individuals from the US, she added.

"As I have said before, we cannot guarantee that there will never be another terrorist attack, and we cannot seal our country under a glass dome," she said.

"However, we continue to do everything we can to reduce the risk of terrorism in our nation."

The country's counterterrorism response currently includes local "fusion centres" aimed at facilitating intelligence-sharing, a nationwide reporting initiative for suspicious acts and the "If you see something, say something" campaign created to "foster public vigilance", Ms Napolitano said.

As previously announced, the US is replacing the colour-coded terror alert system with a more useful one that can keep the public informed as much as possible, she added.

'Determined' enemies

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and US-born Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who has been labelled a "specially designated global terrorist" by his native country, pose the most significant threats to the US, Michael Leiter, director of the National Counterterrorism Center, told the committee.

Anwar al-Awalaki Anwar al-Awlaki has been labelled a "specially designated global terrorist" by the US

Al-Qaeda was at its weakest point in the past 10 years, but it remained "a very determined enemy", he said.

Awlaki, believed to be hiding in southern Yemen, has posted sermons on the web thought to have inspired new recruits to Islamist militancy.

Ms Napolitano has previously said Awlaki is an example of a home-grown extremist spreading propaganda through the internet.

"Home grown radicalization is a growing threat, and one we cannot ignore," said Republican Representative Peter King, following Mr Leiter's comments.

Meanwhile, a US man, Daniel Patrick Boyd, pleaded guilty in a court on Wednesday in the state of North Carolina to plotting terrorist attacks.

More than 60 US citizens have been charged or convicted of terrorist acts or related crimes since 2009.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.