Showing posts with label bodies. Show all posts
Showing posts with label bodies. Show all posts

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Murder victims' bodies back in NI

24 August 2011 Last updated at 23:00 GMT Hearses carrying victims' bodies The two women's bodies were returned to Newry on Wednesday afternoon The bodies of Marion Graham and Kathy Dinsmore, who were murdered in Turkey, have been taken to their home towns of Newry and Warrenpoint.

The women, who were both in their 50s, were stabbed to death near the west coast city of Izmir last week.

The victims' bodies were released from a mortuary in Izmir on Monday and flown to Dublin Airport on Wednesday.

The hearses were accompanied by friends and family and the police on both sides of the border on their journey north.

Both funerals will be on Friday - Ms Graham's in Newry in the morning and Ms Dinsmore's in Warrenpoint in the afternoon.

Ms Graham's daughter Shannon arrived home on Monday night accompanied by her father.

In a statement earlier, St Mary's High School - which Shannon attended - said staff and pupils were "deeply saddened" by the tragic deaths.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Shannon during this very difficult time," the statement said.

"As a school community we will ensure all the support is available to both Shannon and her peers as they begin a new academic year."

Suspect's confession

Shannon's Turkish boyfriend Recep Cetin has reportedly confessed to the double killing.

The suspect, also known as Alex, worked at a restaurant in the popular tourist resort of Kusadasi.

It is alleged that he confessed to killing Ms Graham and Ms Dinsmore, after being refused permission to marry Shannon.

The suspect is alleged to have taken Ms Dinsmore and Ms Graham to a secluded wooded area and murdered them there.

The friends were on holiday in Kusadasi, about 100km from Izmir.

Shannon was on a boat trip when the killings happened. She alerted police when she arrived home and could not get in touch with her mother.


View the original article here

Monday, August 22, 2011

Turkish victims' bodies released

22 August 2011 Last updated at 16:57 GMT Kathy Dinsmore and Marion Graham Kathy Dinsmore and Marion Graham were from County Down The bodies of the two Newry women murdered in Turkey last week have been released for repatriation.

Marion Graham and Kathy Dinsmore, both in their 50s, were stabbed to death in the city of Izmir on Thursday.

Ms Graham's daughter and former partner are now flying back to Northern Ireland.

The Irish Department of Foreign Affairs has said Raymond McGuinness and his daughter Shannon will arrive back in Belfast later.

The boyfriend of Shannon has appeared in court over the murders.

BBC Northern Ireland's Chris Page said he has been told by police sources that Recep Cetin originally told police he had taken the women shopping and they had been abducted.

"Police thought that story didn't really add up," he said.

"They went back to the apartment (in Kusadasi, which the two women where sharing with Shannon Graham and Mr Cetin) to investigate further and there they found some blood-stained clothing in a bag lying on the ground.

"So they arrested Shannon's boyfriend then."

He said a trial, which would be before a judge, not a jury, could last as long as two years.

The women's families hope to fly their bodies home by the middle of this week.

The first full court hearing in relation to the murders is expected to take place on Monday.

Shannon's father, Raymond McGuinness and Ms Graham's son David arrived in Izmir on Saturday.

Prayers were said for the two women in churches in the Turkish city of Izmir and in Northern Ireland on Sunday.

Continue reading the main story image of Chris Page Chris Page BBC NI reporter

It has been widely reported that the suspect is 17, but there is now serious doubt at that.

He has told everyone, including his girlfriend, that that is his age, but police sources have told me he actually is older.

He worked in Kusadasi approaching tourists on the beach and offering to bring them to restaurants. He then earned commission. Several restaurant owners have described him to me as a troubled young man.

Given the suspect has confessed, it's likely the charges will come in the next few days. Anyone convicted of murder in Turkey gets a 36-year sentence per killing, so anyone who has carried out a double murder will spend more than 70 years in prison.

In Kusadasi, both tourists and business people are talking about the murders. Many people working in bars and restaurants knew the ladies and expressed their shock and sadness. I went to an English-language church service in Izmir where the victims and families were prayed for.

Mr McGuinness said the identification process had been completed and his 15-year-old daughter was now his "main concern".

A niece and nephew of Ms Dinsmore have arrived in Turkey to help in the repatriation process.

Detained

The suspect, Mr Cetin, also known as Alex, works at a restaurant in the popular tourist resort of Kusadasi. He was originally reported to be 17, but Turkish police confirmed there was now doubt over his age.

Murder suspect Recep C Doubt has now emerged about the age of the accused, Recep Cetin

It is alleged that he confessed to killing Ms Graham and Ms Dinsmore, after being refused permission to marry Shannon.

The suspect is alleged to have taken Ms Dinsmore and Ms Graham to a secluded wooded area and murdered them there.

The friends were on holiday Kusadasi, about 100km from Izmir.

Shannon was on a boat trip when the killings happened. She alerted police when she arrived home and could not get in touch with her mother.

Newry and Mourne District Council have opened books of condolence which are located at Newry Arts Centre, Newry Town Hall, Warrenpoint Town Hall, Kilkeel Leisure Centre and Crossmaglen Community Centre.


View the original article here

Saturday, April 9, 2011

More bodies found in Ivory Coast

8 April 2011 Last updated at 11:56 GMT Prisoners are loaded on to a truck by Ouattara forces in Abidjan, 7 April Pro-Ouattara forces round up prisoners in the main city of Abidjan More than 100 bodies have been found in Ivory Coast, the United Nations has said, amid the continuing conflict between rivals for the presidency.

The UN said the bodies had been found in the west of the country, in apparent ethnic killings.

Internationally recognised President Alassane Ouattara has been battling incumbent Laurent Gbagbo, who is blockaded in a bunker in Abidjan.

Meanwhile, the EU says it may ease sanctions after a plea by Mr Ouattara.

The UN has certified Mr Ouattara as the winner of November's run-off vote for president but Mr Gbagbo has refused to cede power.

Mr Ouattara's forces have swept down from the north over the past two weeks but much of the main city of Abidjan is dominated by Gbagbo supporters and days of fighting has plunged it into crisis.

'Liberian mercenaries'

Rupert Colville, spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said its team had found more than 100 bodies in the past 24 hours across three locations in the west.

"All the incidents appear to be ethnically motivated," he said.

Mr Ouattara tells Ivorians Mr Gbagbo's refusal to step down had caused a great crisis

The findings on 7 April were:

Duekoue: 15 new bodies, bringing the total number of known dead in a 28-29 March incident to 244. Victims mostly or all of Guerre ethnicity, traditional Gbagbo supporters. Some seem to have been burnt alive and some corpses were thrown down a wellBlolequin: 40 bodies. Perpetrators said to have been Liberian militias, who spared the Guerre after separating them out from other groupsGuiglo: 60 bodies, including a number of West Africans

The reports of mass killings began last week, after Duekoue was captured by pro-Ouattara forces.

Each side has blamed the other for the killings.

Mr Colville told the BBC there were fears more bodies would be found.

Map

He added: "If Mr Gbagbo gives up, it would allow the new administration to try to restore law and order but it is very hard for everyone, including the UN, while this impasse continues."

Mr Colville said of the latest killings that "one has to be a little bit cautious of assigning responsibilities".

The Ouattara camp has previously accused Laurent Gbagbo of recruiting Liberian mercenaries, a claim Mr Gbagbo denies.

But there are reports of both sides using local ethnic militias, which have had a long-standing influence in the west of the country. They were not disarmed after the previous civil war and their overall loyalty is questionable.

'Question of principle'

On Friday, UN relief agencies called for humanitarian corridors which will allow safe passage for thousands of people fleeing the fighting.

Continue reading the main story 28 Nov 2010: Incumbent Laurent Gbagbo and challenger Alassane Ouattara in election run-off2 Dec: Electoral commission announces that Ouattara won 54% of vote3 Dec: Constitutional Council declaring Gbagbo the winner; UN says Ouattara was victor30 Mar 2011: Pro-Ouattara forces enter the capital, Yamoussoukro4 Apr: UN launches air strikes on Gbagbo in main city, Abidjan5 Apr: Three generals negotiate Gbagbo's surrender6 Apr: Gbagbo denies he is ready to leaveMeanwhile, the European Union says it hopes to begin easing some of its sanctions on Ivory Coast soon, following a request from Mr Ouattara.

A spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton told the BBC: "We've received a request from President Ouattara to remove certain entities from the sanctions list. We are working on this in close consultation with President Ouattara and hope to be able to begin easing the sanctions soon."

There are EU sanctions across many sectors, including on two key ports, banks and on cocoa exports, as well as individual sanctions on Mr Gbagbo and dozens of his supporters.

In Abidjan, pro-Ouattara forces continue to besiege Mr Gbagbo in his residence.

Mr Ouattara said a blockade had been set up around the perimeter to make the district safe for residents. He said his forces would wait for Mr Gbagbo to run out of food and water.

Advisers to Mr Gbagbo say he is determined not to surrender.

"President Gbagbo will not surrender," said his Paris-based adviser Toussaint Alain.

"It's a question of principle. He is a president elected by his people."

Map

Send your pictures and videos to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to 61124 (UK) or +44 7725 100 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.

Read the terms and conditions


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.