Showing posts with label tribute. Show all posts
Showing posts with label tribute. Show all posts

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Winehouse tribute at MTV awards

24 August 2011 Last updated at 10:45 GMT Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse Bennett said Winehouse was "one of the most honest musicians I have ever known" Singer Tony Bennett is to introduce a tribute to the late Amy Winehouse at the MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs) this weekend, organisers have announced.

The segment will include footage of the pair recording jazz track Body and Soul at the Abbey Road Studios in March.

"It was a thrill to record with Amy," said Bennett, who called the song "a testament to her artistic genius".

"Our family is honoured that the VMAs are giving Amy this wonderful tribute," said Mitch Winehouse, Amy's father.

Columbia Records are to release Body and Soul as a charity single in support of a foundation established by the late singer's family.

The track - the last Winehouse recorded prior to the death - will also feature on Bennett's Duets II album, which is being released on 20 September.

Lady Gaga, Adele and Bruno Mars are among other artists who will appear at this year's awards, to be held at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles on Sunday.

Winehouse was found dead at her London home on 23 July. The singer, famous for such hit songs as Back to Black and Rehab, was 27.

According to her family, toxicology results have revealed there were no illegal substances in the singer's system before she died.

An inquest on 26 October will determine the exact cause of Winehouse's death.


View the original article here

Jackson promoter defends tribute

Interview by Debbie Randle, words by Del Crookes
Newsbeat reporters La Toya, Tito, Jackie and Marlon Jackson The organiser of the Michael Jackson tribute concert is defending the event saying that they have the "overwhelming majority" of his family behind them.

It's after opposition from Jermaine and Randy Jackson, who say the concert shouldn't go ahead because it will clash with Conrad Murray's trial.

Michael Jackson's former doctor is accused of involuntary manslaughter.

"There's nothing in this. It's not something to get excited about," said Chris Hunt from Global Live Events.

"The notion that an event which reminds people just how fantastic Michael Jackson was, what a loss he was to the world he is, what a great singer, a great performer he was, should be inappropriate - it doesn't compute, it doesn't make sense."

'Proper tribute'

Jermaine and Randy Jackson also say Global Live has "mishandled" the booking as well as "misjudging" the event's timing.

Rock band Kiss were dropped from the bill after over comments made by Gene Simmons. During a magazine interview last year the bassist said Michael Jackson was a child abuser.

Continue reading the main story
I think what's happened is that there's been a campaign, which some of them have listened to and haven't heard our responses to it yet

Chris Hunt's response to fans

The singer was cleared of child molestation in 2005.

Chris Hunt says all the criticism about the concert is understandable but wrong.

"They were saying that it was a pity that there had not been a big scale, proper tribute to Michael.

"We began to think, 'Why don't we try and do one.' LaToya was the lead one but there were other family members around as well.

"There are two that aren't so happy. I don't wish to be ungenerous to anyone. I have the greatest respect for Jermaine, who I've met a number of times.

"He did a couple of times announce that he was going to organise a concert like this and then wasn't unable to do so. So I suppose it's a little understandable."

'No worries'

A coalition of 35 fan communities has since written an open letter to the concert organisers asking for the event to be cancelled.

But Chris Hunt says they haven't heard all the facts.

Michael Jackson Michael Jackson was preparing for a series of UK gigs when he died in 2009

"We have the greatest respect for the fans," he said. "We've been listening to the fans.

"I think what's happened is that there's been a campaign, which some of them have listened to and haven't heard our responses to it yet.

"This concert will sell out either very quickly or quickly. We have no worries about it at all."

The Michael Forever concert takes place at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on 8 October.

Artists confirmed to be taking part include Christina Aguilera, Leona Lewis, Cee Lo Green, JLS, Alexandra Burke and Beyonce, who will perform via satellite.

Speaking to Newsbeat about the controversy surrounding the concert, Alexandra Burke said: "I definitely think it should go ahead, but it's not up to me. I think the family should decide amongst themselves."

She added: "I've got three weeks of rehearsals booked in [for the concert] because I'm trying to make sure I do these songs justice."

Michael Jackson died in June 2009 aged 50 while rehearsing for his This Is It UK tour. Conrad Murray has pleaded not guilty to the involuntary manslaughter charge, arguing he did not cause the singer's death.


View the original article here

Monday, April 25, 2011

Paddling pool death boy tribute


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Monday, April 11, 2011

VIDEO: Submarine sailor's widow pays tribute

9 April 2011 Last updated at 21:42 GMT Help

View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.