Showing posts with label French. Show all posts
Showing posts with label French. Show all posts

Monday, May 2, 2011

French ex-PM appeal hearing opens

2 May 2011 Last updated at 01:49 GMT Former French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin, 28 January 2011 Dominique de Villepin was cleared on four counts in the original trial Former French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin is due to face an appeal trial over charges that he plotted to discredit President Nicolas Sarkozy.

Mr de Villepin was cleared in the case, but the state prosecutor appealed.

He had been accused of failing to stop the Clearstream corruption inquiry into Mr Sarkozy in 2004.

The BBC's Hugh Schofield reports from Paris that the outcome of the case could have a major impact on next year's presidential election.

In 2004, when both men were preparing for presidential bids, Mr Sarkozy's name appeared on a list of top politicians and businessmen who were wrongly linked to an illegal bank account in Luxembourg.

It was alleged those named on the list had received bribes from international arms sales.

The list was sent to people including Mr de Villepin, who was accused of failing to stop the conspiracy.

'Technical trial'

Last year a judge cleared Mr de Villepin on all four counts of complicity to slander, to use forgeries, dealing in stolen property and breach of trust.

Several other defendants in the case were found guilty on various charges.

Our correspondent says that today the rivalry between Mr de Villepin and Mr Sarkozy has a new significance because of a presidential election now less than a year away.

Mr de Villepin has created his own political movement and is widely expected to announce a presidential bid.

With polls suggesting he could get 5% of the first-round vote, he could do real damage to Mr Sarkozy.

Our correspondent adds that complicating the picture are signs that the two men may have had something of a reconciliation in recent weeks - though how sincere that can be, given the mutual loathing that has so long existed between the two, must be a mater of doubt.

"We're going to move from a trial that was almost dramatic art to a more technical trial," Olivier Metzner, one of Mr de Villepin's lawyers, said ahead of the appeal case.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

French football 'had race quota'


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

French Libya ground role mooted

18 April 2011 Last updated at 21:23 GMT Rebel fighter in Misrata. 18 April 2011 Rebel fighters say they have made gains in Misrata French commandos should be deployed on the ground in Libya to help guide air strikes, a senior French official says.

Axel Poniatowski, chairman of France's foreign affairs committee, warned the Nato campaign could become bogged down unless allies put boots on the ground.

The UN resolution authorising force to protect civilians in Libya forbids a "force of occupation" on Libyan soil.

Meanwhile, a ship has evacuated nearly 1,000 foreign workers and wounded Libyans from the city of Misrata.

The Ionian Spirit left the besieged city on Monday for the rebel stronghold of Benghazi in eastern Libya.

Mr Poniatowski's statement came as rebel forces said they had made ground in Misrata in the west, but pro-Gaddafi forces continued to press the rebel-held town of Ajdabiya in the east.

"The exclusive use of air power, as imposed on us by UN Security Council resolution 1973, has proved its limitations in the face of targets that are mobile and hard to track," Mr Poniatowski said.

He said Nato pilots often found it hard to differentiate between pro-Gaddafi forces and the rebels from the air.

"Without information from the ground, coalition planes are flying blind and increasing the risk of friendly fire incidents," he said.

Rebel convoys have been mistakenly bombed by Nato planes on at least two occasions.

Map

Mr Pontiakowksi argued that special forces could have a limited mission to guide allied air strikes and select ground targets without breaking the "spirit" of the UN resolution.

Meanwhile, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) said on Monday that thousands more people in Misrata were waiting to be rescued from what it described as an increasingly perilous situation.

Pro-Gaddafi forces have been pounding the city for days and hundreds of civilians are thought to have been killed.

"We wanted to be able to take more people out but it was not possible," said Jeremy Haslam, who led the IOM rescue mission.

"Although the exchange of fire subsided while we were boarding... we had a very limited time to get the migrants and Libyans on board the ship and then leave."

Continue reading the main story
It is clear Gaddafi wants to wipe out Misrata. Nato's inaction is helping him carry out this plan”

End Quote Rebel spokesman in Misrata The UK has pledged to pay for the evacuation of 5,000 people from Misrata.

The UN's emergency relief co-ordinator, Valerie Amos, said the Libyan government had assured her that the UN could establish a humanitarian presence in the country.

Baroness Amos called for a ceasefire to allow this to happen.

A rebel spokesman in Misrata told Reuters they had "made progress" in the city and were "controlling some areas surrounding Tripoli Street".

However, he said rebel fighters were facing snipers and troops armed with rocket-propelled grenades.

"It is clear Gaddafi wants to wipe out Misrata. Nato's inaction is helping him carry out this plan. Are they waiting for a massacre to realise that they need to change tactics?" he said.

Libyan state news agency Jana said that Nato air strikes destroyed the main telecommunications tower in the city of Sirte on Monday.

The report said "the bombardment of the colonial and crusader aggressors" also hit two other telecommunications stations in the city.

There has been no independent confirmation of the report and no word from Nato.

Despite last month's UN resolution authorising air strikes to protect civilians in Libya, rebels have been unable to retain territory during fighting along the coastal towns of eastern Libya.

Col Gaddafi is defying international pressure to step down despite the revolt against his 41-year rule that began in Benghazi in February.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Monday, February 14, 2011

French kidnap woman appeal fails

11 February 2011 Last updated at 00:36 GMT Florence Cassez behind bars, file picture Many people in France believe Florence Cassez is innocent A Mexican appeals court has upheld the conviction of a French woman, Florence Cassez, whose imprisonment for kidnapping has caused friction between the two countries.

The court said prosecutors had proved Ms Cassez guilt in three kidnappings in 2005 and her 60-year sentence would stand.

She has always pleaded her innocence.

France has warned that the decision to keep her behind bars will weigh on bilateral relations.

"I am appalled by the court's decision to back the judge's ruling on Florence Cassez," French Foreign Minister Michele Alliot-Marie said in a statement.

"It is a denial of justice."

She added that France would do everything it could to seek her release.

The case of Florence Cassez, 36, has long been controversial in both Mexico and France.

She was arrested in 2005 at a ranch near Mexico City where three kidnapping victims had been held for two months.

One of the victims was only eight years old.

Kidnapper's girlfriend

It later emerged the arrest, as seen by the public, was in fact a re-enactment staged by the police for the media.

Ms Cassez has always said her only connection with the case was that she was the girlfriend of the leading kidnapper.

But her victims identified her, and said she took an active role in their abductions.

In the appeal hearing her lawyers argued that her trial had been prejudiced from the start because she had been paraded in front of the media as guilty.

But the court rejected that argument, saying that the television footage was not formally considered during the trial.

Her lawyers also cast doubt on the testimony of the kidnap victims who identified her.

Mexico has one of the world's highest kidnap rates, with victims sometimes murdered even after ransoms have been paid, and Ms Cassez's case has attracted little public sympathy.

But many people in France believe she is innocent, and in 2009 President Nicolas Sarkozy pleaded for her to be allowed to serve her sentence in a French jail.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.